+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD low cost but decent DAC

I'm Brian.

Well , I must say that mines sounds excellent too , particularly with the Reflektor valve Jerry gave me
    Last edited by brian2957; 31-03-2018 at 16:30.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Well , I must sat that mines sounds excellent too , particularly with the Reflektor valve Jerry gave me
    pleased with mine and wont be changing it either
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

IMHO the XS is way better than a Young. I had Jerry's in my system and it produced a pretty spatially flat soundstage and was overly clinical.

Firebottle does have a different board revision to mine and I assume Jerry's.

I don't think I am going to be able to resist buying the 05B, best price is on AliExpress.

It isn't as much fun as my Lampizator Big 7, and valve rolling isn't as easy and nor does it produce such diversified results. But with a WE 396A in it I think it is unbelievable for the money.

EDIT: the caveats are it is rubbish in preamp mode, and the distortion you hear when you jack the preamp volume up becomes extremely heavy. It sounds poor in this mode even at lower volume settings.

Also, it isn't entirely clean. I hear distortion, particularly in the bass, which just isn't there with other DACs. Only on some material, though. It sounds similar in nature to the distortion that creeps in when you run in preamp mode and jack the volume up slowly. But again that mode just sounds shite anyway.

Still with a lot of material it does sound really good - for the money.
    Last edited by User211; 31-03-2018 at 10:29.

I'm gone.

So. Is it really good for the money, or unbelievable for the money?
    Make your mind up!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    So. Is it really good for the money, or unbelievable for the money?
    Make your mind up!
    It is almost unbelievable. I think the output stage is driven into a mild clipping state even in standard DAC mode that is only apparent on some music.

If the 05B kills that problem and sounds as good generally, I think that would be the bargain of the century even at double the price. Or 5 times the price. Or more.

I am with you Jerry I think it is fabulous in many senses but flawed. Everything is flawed, though, anyway.

Just sayin'. I am not sure if this distortion would be so obvious on cone speakers. I might try it in my second system, but somehow I am skeptical I will hear it on the M&Ds.

Anyway, at least one other person has encountered this issue. It ain't just me.

I'm gone.

I don't hear a bass issue on my MBLs, but then I'm not into megabass music in the way that you are.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    IMHO the XS is way better than a Young. I had Jerry's in my system and it produced a pretty spatially flat soundstage and was overly clinical.

Firebottle does have a different board revision to mine and I assume Jerry's.

I don't think I am going to be able to resist buying the 05B, best price is on AliExpress.

It isn't as much fun as my Lampizator Big 7, and valve rolling isn't as easy and nor does it produce such diversified results. But with a WE 396A in it I think it is unbelievable for the money.

EDIT: the caveats are it is rubbish in preamp mode, and the distortion you hear when you jack the preamp volume up becomes extremely heavy. It sounds poor in this mode even at lower volume settings.

Also, it isn't entirely clean. I hear distortion, particularly in the bass, which just isn't there with other DACs. Only on some material, though. It sounds similar in nature to the distortion that creeps in when you run in preamp mode and jack the volume up slowly. But again that mode just sounds shite anyway.

Still with a lot of material it does sound really good - for the money.
    After reading your post, I decided to have a lend of a XS and see how it compares to the M2TECH Young in my system.

Truth is it doesn't. The M2TECH gives a much wider and deeper soundstage. It has better timbral reproduction from strings and overall has a much richer tone.

The XS (although ridiculously good value) hasn't got the ability to not sound like a digital component which is where the M2TECH really does well. The XS sounds thin and grainy. I will concede that resolution is astounding for the price and there is plenty of definition but it just sounds thinner and fatiguing.

Results will vary between ears and houses but here, the XS is back in the box and will be on its way back to the owner shortly. The M2TECH is staying put.

On Tube out (modified) it's better in terms of fatigue and richness but the soundstage isn't improving. It's just not as good as the M2TECH to my ears. I can see why it's doing so well in terms of sales, the VFM is outrageous!

I'm Mike.

I also have the XS01A. It replaced my Micromega MyDac, but not by much and the MyDac did some things better. Yes, it's probably the best DAC for the money, although I've not heard them all, by a long stretch, but it's certainly not a "giant killer", imo.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm gone.

Hmm. Perplexing!

I guess we will probably never know whether we are hearing the same things and have different opinions about it or whether there are substantially different sounding versions of the XS 01A and we really are hearing different things!

Justin and I do have broadly similar tastes - we have heard different incarnations of each others systems several times over the past few years and I think there has always been enjoyment and enthusiasm for the other's system.
    As to whether I would like Oli's, Alan's or Mike's systems, I have no idea, never having heard them!

I'm gone.

.... I wonder, have the XS 01A dissenters all been using the stock valves?
    Significant improvements are to be had by subbing the valve of your choice.
    Justin likes the WE equivalent (I have yet to try the one he loaned me) and Brian and I like Reflektor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast