+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WTD low cost but decent DAC

I'm Mike.

Mine is fitted with a GE5670.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

Bigman80 Guest

There is a Telefunken in this one. I'm afraid that's about as good as valves get IME!!

It's a fickle habit this hifi lark BUT we can only go on what we like. It's all good!! We like what we like!!

I'm Justin.

Just swapped in the Frenchie after playing Ernest Ranglin Below The Baseline track King Tubby Meets The Rockers.

This completely fuxks the Xiang but the Frenchie gets a clean bill of health.

Then the batteries ran out in the Frenchie and I can't find the charger. I will do though.

Cheap DACs. WTF? I am missing the Lampi though the Xiang has surprised me.

Like the Young post above. Proof we're on different planets.

We aren't comparing like with like. Engineers are always trying to do better. I know I am one. Board revs and staff change in these companies. And our systems are completely different. No surprise there is no commonality of viewpoint.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    we can only go on what we like. It's all good!! We like what we like!!
    Exactly this. I listen to so little dots and bleeps music that the XS is perfectly good enough.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Exactly this. I listen to so little dots and bleeps music that the XS is perfectly good enough.
    Absolutely! There's no right or wrong in this game.

I'm Justin.

Newness is good whereas familiarity breeds contempt. That's the best reason for liking a highly configurable DAC.

That's why I like the Lampi. It is just so variable on demand.

But the Xiang is vaguely sonically changeable for very little dosh. That's pretty cool.

And on some material it really works. On others it falls flat on it's face. But then most components seem to display similar traits.

A balance of compromise and discovery I guess. Probably the reason a lot of us get into this hobby. None of us will really win. But some of us will do better than others, at least when judged by our own criteria.

I'm gone.

^^^ Yep.

Although I must admit a Telefunken is not a valve I'd expect to synergise well with the XS.
    They tend to the bright and open. So does the XS DAC.
    A good recipe for splashy treble tending to graininess, imo. But, in practise, who knows? Not me (until I try it).

Anyway, the OP has probably bought an entirely different DAC by now.
    Or upgraded his turntable instead.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ^^^ Yep.

Although I must admit a Telefunken is not a valve I'd expect to synergise well with the XS.
    They tend to the bright and open. So does the XS DAC.
    A good recipe for splashy treble tending to graininess, imo. But, in practise, who knows? Not me (until I try it).

Anyway, the OP has probably bought an entirely different DAC by now.
    Or upgraded his turntable instead.
    Lol,

Good point! I'll put a Tesla in.

I'm James.

Sorry to Butt in but I would use a Brimar (darker and cooler sound) or Mullard ( softer and richer) rather than a Tesla which can be forward and clear. Tesla tubes are however one step back from a telefunken.

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    .... I wonder, have the XS 01A dissenters all been using the stock valves?
    Significant improvements are to be had by subbing the valve of your choice.
    Justin likes the WE equivalent (I have yet to try the one he loaned me) and Brian and I like Reflektor.
    Just to add another dimension to this, and to take the topic even further away from OP, I can’t believe any of you are happy using the XS in valve mode. It’s a superb unit here in SS but horribly veiled with the valve in circuit, irrespective of the glass.

Unless you’ve all snuck off and applied Alan’s mods??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast