+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Naim speaker cables??

I'm Karl.

Default Naim speaker cables??

Hi guys,

Iv been pretty busy over here the last few months putting together a linn LP12(picture on my profile).
    Managed to snag an ortofon rondo red cart from a needle docotr in germany (axel schurholz??) who had upgraded it with a nude shibata. And i have to say im blown away by the improvements over my RP6 and soundsmith cart. Its incredible... All the extra saturdays have really paid off.

Iv now moved onto the amplification side and have picked up a minty clean, newly serviced naim nac 72 ,hicap, and wil try find a power amp in the coming weeks . Possibly. 180 or 250 if i can stretch the budget or find a billy bargain.

Iv been reading that i should only use the naim nac a5 cables but it seems a bit pricey at nearly 200 quid for a pair of the recommended 3.5m lengths . Is there anything else out there that i can use that wont break the bank and stil sound good??

Cheers
    Karl
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm gone.

Wow
    That LP12 plinth looks stunning!

Older Naim power amps need NACA5 type speaker cables to keep the circuit stable (and not blow up!).

I'm Hugo.

Naim speaker cables often come up in the classified ads, at pretty sensible prices. I still choose to use NAC A5 cables even though I no longer have a Naim amp in the system - these are very good cables by any standard, and although awkwardly stiff, would still be my logical choice.

I'm Karl.

Thanks mate i went for santos rosewood. Lovely character.
    Yeah im aware of the capacitance issue was just wondering if anything else out there did the job as well?
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Ok i shall keep my eyes peeled mate, cheers . Would prefer to use naim as it was designed for the job , just dont like the price ha. Iv read linn cable is usable but not sure on how it would sound?

I'm Dave.

Early Naim amps needed a minimum of 3.5 mtr of their own or similar cable to prevent them going unstable. Later ones are safe with any cable which isn't highly capacitive. A good one, which doesn't cost the earth and is easier to work with and hide than NACA, is Talk 3 at £4/mtr.

I'm Karl.

Thanks Dave , i shall have a look. Does it perform aswell as the naim cable or shall i stop being a tight git and get my hand in my pocket ha

I'm Neil.

Van Damme HiFi is an excellent alternative for NACA5, which I use with an ancient Exposure amplifier. Due to its shotgun spaced construction it has the very low capacitance and moderate inductance that older Naim, Exposure & current #### amps like.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 30-03-2018 at 08:54. Reason: Banned topic!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Karl.

Thanks for the reply mate i will add that to the list of possibilities ����

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Thanks Dave , i shall have a look. Does it perform aswell as the naim cable or shall i stop being a tight git and get my hand in my pocket ha
    The NACA is nothing special and now very expensive for what it is. Obviously, you will get a different answer from the Naim forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast