+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jelco SA-750E 10" tonearm destroys Rega RB300 tonearm

I'm Alex.

Default Jelco SA-750E 10" tonearm destroys Rega RB300 tonearm

I've just replaced Rega RB300 with Jelco SA-750E 10" tonearm and let me tell you -- it's an unbelievable improvement.

I was a bit worried and somewhat skeptical that Jelco could ever beat such reputable tonearm (according to some people in the know, RB300 is considered the best tonearm value for the buck). But Jelco totally left RB300 in the dust. It's not even funny how superior Jelco's performance is, on all possible accounts. Not only is the sound much more authoritative and the detail retrieval mind bogglingly superior, Jelco is also a champion in eliminating any, even the nastiest occurrences of seemingly untameable sibilance. Plus, Jelco appears way more forgiving to surface noise, scratches, pops and clicks.

Overall, I'm in audio heaven this evening, grabbing one LP after another, rediscovering my library, marvelling at how much music is actually hidden inside those micro grooves.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Hugo.

I always thought that the 10" SA-750E hit the sweet spot of Jelco's old range, and it's a shame that they have dropped 10" variants of the new TS and TK arms.

I'm Svend.

Alex - wow! That's fantastic. So happy that worked out well. Did you get a new armboard at the same time?

Enjoy the new sound

I'm Robert.

Nice one Alex, Jelcos look a good arm.

Remind me what deck you have it on
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

Nice result Alex. I'm not surprised actually. What cartridge are you using in the Jelco?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex - wow! That's fantastic. So happy that worked out well. Did you get a new armboard at the same time?

Enjoy the new sound
    No, tried to order the new armboard but they only ship to UK and Australia. We are going to machine an acrylic one, but I was too impatient to wait. So that's for the next round of ugraditis.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Nice one Alex, Jelcos look a good arm.

Remind me what deck you have it on
    On Systemdek IIX

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice result Alex. I'm not surprised actually. What cartridge are you using in the Jelco?
    Ortofon OM20.

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Ortofon OM20.
    The Denon DL-103 should be excellent there if you still have it.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Denon DL-103 should be excellent there if you still have it.
    Yes, that's the next thing to try. I'm debating whether to use it now, or to send it to be re-tipped? Not sure if it was due to the DL-103 mismatch with RB300 or what, but I am definitely getting loads more music from OM20 than I used to get from DL-103. I tend to think it is caused by the difference in spherical vs nude elliptical stylus, but maybe Jelco will match better with DL-103 and it will give me more detail retrieval.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast