+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WTB 2 RCA Phono Plugs

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Plating conductivity is unimportant if the conductor cross section at contact areas is adequate. You could use lead or zinc for the difference it would make. Same applies to the plug structure. Choosing between metals like copper or brass should really be down to cost and durability, as the conductor cross section in phono plugs is usually vastly greater than required for the small signals involved. Anything else is just to look fancy.
    Like i said, Geoff, I have no idea how they get those figures (how can anything be more than 100%!) BUT experimenting with plugs made by the same company with different plating did make a difference. Subtle but apparent.

As stated, it's personal opinion.

I'm Geoff.

I've heard similar things about silver (loaded) solder. In practice, it offers no benefits and can be a nuisance to use due to the higher melting point, like other non-lead solders.

I'm Gary.

It's an IACS number, International Annealled Copper Standard, This standard refers to a pure, "standard" copper having a resistivity of 1.7241 microhm-cm at 20°C (68°F). So it's a comparative number hence you can go over 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Like i said, Geoff, I have no idea how they get those figures (how can anything be more than 100%!) BUT experimenting with plugs made by the same company with different plating did make a difference. Subtle but apparent.

As stated, it's personal opinion.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've heard similar things about silver (loaded) solder. In practice, it offers no benefits and can be a nuisance to use due to the higher melting point, like other non-lead solders.
    Silver solder isnt as good (IMO) as leadfree solder but when using silvering cable and plugs I tend to use it regardless for Continuity.

There is high csilver solder that has a low melting point too. A company called "Shockwave" sell via eBay.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It's an IACS number, International Annealled Copper Standard, This standard refers to a pure, "standard" copper having a resistivity of 1.7241 microhm-cm at 20°C (68°F). So it's a comparative number hence you can go over 100%.
    Thanks Gary!! Good info.

I'm Kevin.

Personally, I would look for a plug that offers good strain relief on the smaller diameter cable as my first priority. Yes, you can get MS Audio plugs to fit, but they take at least a week to arrI’ve.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Gary.

Self amalgamating tape can be used to ensure good cable strain relief on any plug.

I'm Paul.

Its plugs designed for different requirements. In a domestic hifi environment people are more interested in how a plug may “sound” compared to another and whether they make a good long lasting connection as leads don’t tend to be unplugged very often.

In a stage or tour environment the practical requirements are making the earth connection before the signal connection and being able to survive countless cycles of plugging and unplugging.
    ~Paul~

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ok went with Oliver's suggestion and got some MS Audio plugs . Conclusion? I really really need to practiceby soldering !

Thanks to all who advised got my vinyl back on !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Ok went with Oliver's suggestion and got some MS Audio plugs . Conclusion? I really really need to practiceby soldering !

Thanks to all who advised got my vinyl back on !
    oh no! Haven't ruined them have you? If in need, send them up, I'll sort them out for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast