+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr Van Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I have to say I'm completely in the dark as far as Van Morrison goes, never heard anything by them/him?

What's the musical style?
    You'll find Van Morrison in your local CD store under the category labeled "Celtic/Blues/R&B/Jazz/New Age/Folk/Country/Soul Singers."

Which of course makes a recommendation for an introduction rather difficult. To get any kind of a feel for who Van Morrison is, you'll need Astral Weeks, Moondance, It's Too Late To Stop Now, Into The Music, Avalon Sunset, No Guru, No Method, No Teacher, Back On Top, and Pay The Devil. That will give you an overview, but hardly the entire picture. What kind of music do you like/listen to? It would probably be easier to start there. Or you could simply skip your next component upgrade and buy his catalog instead.

Regarding the re-masters, I haven't heard them, but much of Van's catalog was well-mastered to cd in the 80s and 90s. I'm not sure I'd want to mess with them much. There are a few that are flat or thin sounding - not digital or harsh, just dull, and I hope whoever is doing the re-masters does a good job with them.

Tim

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I have to say I'm completely in the dark as far as Van Morrison goes, never heard anything by them/him?

Hmm... I bet you have actually, even if you're not aware of it!

Brown eyed girl maybe?

http://www.last.fm/music/Van+Morrison/_/Brown+Eyed+Girl
    Last edited by Mike; 29-05-2008 at 15:12. Reason: Link Added
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Yeah, heard that one. You're probably right Mike, but the same could be said about a lot of big artists I guess, advertising is probably most likely where too.

How's the soldering btw?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

Soldering is going great!

Your cables were done last weekend, but being a lazy tw@t I've still not gotten my arse down to the post office!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Whenever mate, I'm in no hurry (although I have built a new stand for my DAC as it'll sit closer to the computer).

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Sinclair View Post
    Saint Dominic's Preview is another must-have, IMO.
    IMO too. It may be my favorite of a collection of eleven or twelve. I've been feeling the need to do some Van shopping for some time now.
    Last edited by Donald Hanson; 11-06-2008 at 22:29. Reason: snelling
    Sansui: G-8000, AU-20000, AU-719, TU-666, TU-717, 2 AX-7s, SE-7, SC-1110, SC-3100, SR-333, SP-2000, SP-2500, RA-500. Yamaha: YP-D71. Denon: DL-160, DVD 2910. Shure V15 Type lll. Dual: 1019. Teac: PD-710M. Senheiser: HD600. Klipsch: Forte II. KLH: Model 10. Atwater Kent AM Console. Zenith: Transoceanic. RCA: Victor. and on and on and on
    The Avatar? June Foray, voice for Rocket J Squirrel.

The second batch of re-masters arrived last week, I'm pleased to say that the level od mastering is up with the first set. Having compared the re-mastered CD';s with Vinyl, its tempting to say that IF CD's had been this well sorted from the outset, then CD would possibly have given Vinyl a harder time in my house than it has.
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

Default great!

Well... I've got a friend who's a recording engineer and a big vinyl fan, but when confronted with the question "vinyl or cd?", he always says "I'll go with a good mastering job!". Which I guess, is absolutely true. I'll have to check those Van reissues apparently... damn! Why do they keep scavenging in my wallet!!?
    One is a sinner. One is a saint, but most of us worry about showing up late. Pete Townshend - Street in The City

I'm Nick.

I've a friend who's a big big Van fan. He tells some great stories about how temperamental he can get, especially when folks start calling out for songs at his shows. He's been known to storm off if there's one too many person shouting for one of the classics while he's trying to get through one of his newer pieces!

I saw him a few years back at Malvern Forums and it was a great gig, but there was palpable tension when someone shouted out for 'Moondance' in the middle of his 'blues and jazz' sequence at the start of the set. Luckily he stuck it out and we got 'Moondance' to boot. The 'Moondance' album is superb, IMO, very chilled out, very good place to start. 'And It Stoned Me' and 'Caravan' are complete classics. Listen alongside 'Solid Air' by John Martyn for a spliff-tastic night in
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    The 'Moondance' album is superb, IMO, very chilled out, very good place to start. 'And It Stoned Me' and 'Caravan' are complete classics. Listen alongside 'Solid Air' by John Martyn for a spliff-tastic night in

You could always buy his old studio,to be really authentic.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=753
    ATB

David

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast