+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Van Morrison

Default Mr Van Morrison

Has any one tried the van morrison re issues, part 2 is about due for release, and I thoroughly enjoyed the first batch, so it's time for me to get the wallet out again.
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I have to say I'm completely in the dark as far as Van Morrison goes, never heard anything by them/him?

What's the musical style?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Cool well...

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I have to say I'm completely in the dark as far as Van Morrison goes, never heard anything by them/him?

What's the musical style?
    Just to respond to this thread... I don't know which reissues you're talking about!
    In regards to what to hear by The Van, I guess you couldn't go wrong with Moondance. Astral Weeks can be a bit meandering for the tastes of some, although it's definitely my favorite. Moondance is by far the most accesible of the great The Van albums. Another album that could be a good introduction (without recommending the greatest hits) is the live album It's Too Late To Stop Now from the early 70's.... some of the versions there are the definitive.
    Ok, so what's the musical style? Heeeeee....
    It's a mixture of (Old) R&B, Soul and Jazz, all held up by a voice that's soulful as it is nasal and freewheelin'... but if you get it it's great! That's why I recommend you get his more 'structured' albums first, like Moondance.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents...
    One is a sinner. One is a saint, but most of us worry about showing up late. Pete Townshend - Street in The City

Oh, and it's Him, people like me, when they try to be cool (yeah, really sad, I know) call him The Van. But he used to be in a band called Them (no, really!) which had timeless hits like Gloria and Here Comes The Night.
    One is a sinner. One is a saint, but most of us worry about showing up late. Pete Townshend - Street in The City

Van Morrison is not any style, if you get what he does he is the style, very eclectic mix of music, as was said above some albums are structured, others are a melange of music.

these are the re masters I was referring to http://www.recordstore.co.uk/vanmorrison/
    sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They look good! Will have a punt I think.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by aedagnino View Post
    Astral Weeks can be a bit meandering for the tastes of some, although it's definitely my favourite.
    Mine too!..... somewhat strangely, the man himself cannot abide the thing!!!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Default i can understand that...

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    Mine too!..... somewhat strangely, the man himself cannot abide the thing!!!
    ... first, from the perspective of an artist that doesn't want to be pigeonholed, which I guess is the underlining thread of his whole career.
    But secondly, and I guess more importantly, it is you could argue, a very juvenile album. Does this make it less important or compelling? I think not. But I can understand why he couldn't stand it.

I'm InSpace.

Don't expect a remastered version of Astral Weeks. Apparently Mr Morrison made off with the original master tape's muttering something along the lines of "over my dead body".

Allegedly!

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Talking yes!

while wasting the royalties buying garden gnomes as gifts for Jools Holland! (true story)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast