+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wtd - xiangsheng dac-01a

I'm Lawrence.

One version didn't have a valve output so check first if you want that (didn't think much of the SS output on that either, that one had the cheaper rival to the ESS dac chip I forget the name).

I'm Richard.

This was also posted on the same thread so maybe of note if anyone is looking further up the chain

I wanted a new dac for my pc (headphone listening) and after reading Jerrys opinions on this dac (and trusting them) I bought the upgraded Xiang Sheng DA-03A. I actually think you would be better of with the cheaper DA-01A because the DA-03A uses Solen coupling caps and Is a bit harsh. The DA-01A uses polyester coupling caps that although 'technically' Inferior should sound more balanced In my opinion (I've tried almost every coupling cap known to man In various amplifiers/cd players).

I upgraded the coupling caps to Mundorf Supreme and It sounds much better but still a touch bright. Not sure whether to try some polyesters (I like Evox MMK) or put these HUGE Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil on top with trailing leads.

I'm Justin.

FWIW insider9 on the Wam says DAC-05B is good.

I think you should get one Jerry Then do a direct compare between the two.

I'm broke I just spent a fortune on two valves.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I'm broke I just spent a fortune on two valves.

Flog your Porsche, that should cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    FWIW insider9 on the Wam says DAC-05B is good.

I think you should get one Jerry Then do a direct compare between the two.
    Oh, Xiang Sheng.
    That is so last week.
    I've moved on - check out my signature.

I'm Justin.

I'm betting the newbie isn't as good.

I'm gone.

It's pretty good, definitely in the same league - and a new PSU is on the way from one of Prez Xi's chaps, and who knows where that will take it.
    Actually, you're probably better off with the XS, I suspect it does the slammy-slam thing that is further up your priority list than it is mine a bit better.
    Both the 01A and the M8 are great DACs imo - it's nice to have both.
    .... and Matt's views (quoted above) on the XS 03 make me a bit wary of the 05. I am curious about it, though - I nearly pulled the trigger on one a few days ago, but bottled it at the last moment!

Good review that ties in with my thoughts on the SMSL M8 - https://www.musicservertips.com/prod...s/smsl-m8-dac/

I'm Justin.

I won't like it if you can't plug a valve in it to mess with it.

Reads well. 2016. So two years ago!:wink:

I'm gone.

I think I bought my first XS 01A back in 2015.

I'm Justin.

I only copied you cos I was desperate.

I'm Richard.

Apologies because it's not exactly helping the OP's wanted thread.
    I will be selling my Xiang Sheng 01A but not at a hugely discounted price purely because it has more worth to me than gaining a few £'s which would just end up being splash back off a pub's urinal.
    I think it's clear by the many reports on various forums that it is really good for the money. I've seen a couple sold recently for £70/80. It's a bit ridiculous because in my set up the Xiang had more about it than a few more 'highly acclaimed named' DACs (Bel Canto 2.5, Chord Hugo, Metrum octave, Chevron, Jolida III, plus quite a few more etc).
    I used the solid state output because I have valve pre & power valves & thought the synergy was better. Maybe because I have a predominantly valve based system that I found tube & NOS DACS extremely dull. With a different set up this could have been completely different.
    I only compared using a cd transport ( no computer files) & I'm not saying that it's better but I certainly couldn't justify the extra expense of the so called 'superior' DACs.
    I heard my friends pink triangle da capo & a Theta gen 5 which were better to my ears but I wouldn't be in a rush to pay a shit load for a bit of kit that might could go tits up next week.
    There are more refined DACs out there of course, but even at full price I think the 01A is a great buy.

Apologies to owners of the other DACs I've mentioned..... It's only an opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast