For sale is another beloved piece from my SUT collection - Ortofon T-5000.

This one belongs to the best line of Ortofon SUTs ever: T-3000, T-5000, T-7500, all based on silver wired, toroid step up transformers from the golden era of Japanese audio - 80s.

Please note these are much better than anything Ortofon sells today, based on Lundahl or whatever trannies. No contest.

It's designed for low impedance carts, ideally between 2 and 6 ohm - flagship Ortofon, Koetsu, Lyra and similar. It provides 25dB of boost.

In my room/system, I've heard only 1 better SUT with these parameters: Tango MCT-999 (Lumiere SUT is another story, different electrical data). It left in dust various top range Hashimoto, Fidelity Research, Luxman stuff.

It was sourced in Japan several years ago. I expected to be a final answer for my SPU needs but later I found Tango which stopped the game.

It was cleaned from inside and connections checked, given the humid Pacific climate which can make some isolation material (sponge) decompose. It's dead quiet until you put it into a nasty place full of RFI.

The case is scratched a bit and one of the corners is bent from rough handling in post. I will get the original pics ASAP or send them to interested parties.

The price reflects this cosmetic state. 700 UKP will have it delivered to your door.