+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp Switch (2 amps into 1 Set of Speakers)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only concern with your arrangement is that the amplifier that is not selected is not given a load. The danger is that this amplifier could be switched on by accident without a load. To provide 'safety' loading would necessitate the use of an 8-pole double throw 'break before make' switch, and one where the time between 'break' and 'make' is very short.

As to the possible degradation of the signal through the insertion of another set of contacts, well provided the current rating of the switch is high enough the effect will be minimal.

I once built a switch box to switch the output of my amplifier to either speakers or headphones. I used a military (aviation) grade, 20A rated, Cutler-Hammer 4PDT switch. When switched to the headphone position, the amp was loaded by 10W 8Ohm metal-clad resistors, with the headphones fed via series 0.5W 100 Ohm resistors.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    True, but most transistor amps are quite happy with no load, or should be.
    The OP's amps are a Tripath switching amp and a Quad 306. I think both of those should be ok with no load.
    Yes, I knew the Quad amp would be OK, but didn't know about the switching amp.

So, no problem.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Well, I'm guessing that the switching amp will be ok with no load. Disclaimer to the OP: don't blame me if your house burns down
    The guy that built my very good class D TPA3116 amp told me not to run it without speakers connected.
    Spendorman

Get some 100 Ohms cement resistors of 5 or 10W rating. You'll need 4 pieces. One for each RCA/PHONO connector.

I'm Paul.

I'll do this Stanley, thanks, by one for each RCA do you mean both ends connect to the one socket?

RCAs? Is that a typo, or are you using RCA connectors for your speaker connections?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I'll do this Stanley, thanks, by one for each RCA do you mean both ends connect to the one socket?
    Each resistor should be connected from the signal pin to the ground pin on the same connector. If you want to, email me and I can send you a diagram back attached to the email.

I'm ian.

I am interested in the progress of this idea.
    I run two systems in one room; AV system and a system for stereo. I am sick of unplugging and replugging everytime I go from system to system.
    I was originally trying to figure out how to implement a home theatre bypass, but an amp switching facility would suffice.
    StanleyB I like the look of your basic unit and the idea of the dummy load. How does this work in practice?

I'm Paul.

Morning all, just thought I'd give an update on the progress of my speaker wire switch.

The parts I was waiting on arrived from China and seem well made to my un-trained eye. I also found the MDF I was using way too thick for the front and back panels so I cut out 2 pieces of ply wood instead.

Here's the front and back of the front panel with the on>off>on switch wired in:
    20180408_111315.jpg20180408_111309.jpg

And here's the back panel with the gold plated (questionable) speaker binding posts. Theres a bit too much space between each set of 4 for my liking but hopefully only an issue aesthetically.
    20180408_111407.jpg20180408_111425.jpg

I'll post up some final pics once the binding posts are wired in and it's all been screwed together.

Quote Originally Posted by daddydj View Post
    I am interested in the progress of this idea.
    I run two systems in one room; AV system and a system for stereo. I am sick of unplugging and replugging everytime I go from system to system.
    I was originally trying to figure out how to implement a home theatre bypass, but an amp switching facility would suffice.
    StanleyB I like the look of your basic unit and the idea of the dummy load. How does this work in practice?
    You press the two switches on the TC-7210 (Left and Right speakers) to switch over between amps. That's how simple it is . It's quickly becoming popular with valve amp owners since valve amps need a load at all times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast