+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales Of The Unexpected - nice vintage gear as part of the story

I'm Paul.

Default Tales Of The Unexpected - nice vintage gear as part of the story

So, I was watching a particularly hammy episode today, namely My Lady Love, My Dove from season 2 and the story focused on a sound engineer who wired up the guest bedroom of his house so he and his wife could listen in on the late night shenanigans of the couple they had staying for the weekend.

It was a pretty dreadful story and the lead actors were Elaine Stritch and Shane Rimmer, best known in the UK for Jackanory and Thunderbirds respectively. They both have very distinctive voices that led to steady careers, but in terms of actual physical acting they're a bit am-dram if you ask me

The fella had a 5-din socket in the bedroom skirting board that allowed him to run a mic to a position just by the bedside table while they listened in on some groovy closed-cup headphones using a tape deck in the bedroom, so they were presumably gonna record it all too

The weird thing was, Stritch was a rich, older woman who'd married him for fun but he was against the idea, saying it was immoral. She promised if he did as she asked she'd wear "the apron you bought me in Hamburg" and the "Wellington boots" and she'd even retrieve "the feather duster" from where she'd hidden it

Telly gold, I'm telling you

Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool stuff, Paul! I recognise the Koss headphones that the guy's using in particular, as I have a pair myself - and they're fab!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lawrence.

Was it still written by Roald Dahl at this point or just some second rate screenplay writers. Still, sounds right up my street, reminds me in some ways of a film I liked with Derek Jacobi playing a weak willed aristo with Oliver Reed as his dominant manservant who did what he wanted round the estate. Got a bit trippy at times.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

lol they must have been sponsored by sony!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

What are the speakers? Wharfedale E70?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What are the speakers? Wharfedale E70?
    Sony. As is the rest of the gear I think.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Was it still written by Roald Dahl at this point or just some second rate screenplay writers. Still, sounds right up my street, reminds me in some ways of a film I liked with Derek Jacobi playing a weak willed aristo with Oliver Reed as his dominant manservant who did what he wanted round the estate. Got a bit trippy at times.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Definitely him, this early in the run.
    I'm going through them all having previously watched every episode of The Twilight Zone and all the Hitchcock Presents/Hour shows, a few of which were recycled for this show by Dahl as he wrote the originals - famously the one about the leg of lamb

I've just seen a really weird one with John Alderton as a vicar and Joan Collins among several women lusting after him.
    Really psycho-sexual and pretty risque for the time.
    Never that much of a fan of La Collins but at one point she was mowing the vicarage lawn in a pair of skintight Gloria Vanderbilts and a vest and "accidentally" got splashed by another woman using a hose to water the plants ... she was rather fetching when she was younger and fair stirred the loins of the embarrassed young cleric
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cool stuff, Paul! I recognise the Koss headphones that the guy's using in particular, as I have a pair myself - and they're fab!

Marco.
    A mate's got some similar from Wharfedale - big white cups, more like small speakers really. They do sound amazing, even now - must be pushing 50 years old I would imagine ..
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    A mate's got some similar from Wharfedale - big white cups, more like small speakers really. They do sound amazing, even now - must be pushing 50 years old I would imagine ..
    I remember those. They were around before the rather good 'Isodynamic' headphones came along.

Anybody interested in vintage headphones could keep an eye out for the now rare Rogers headphones of the same era. The sound quality was excellent.

I'm Dennis.

I think they would be Wharfedale DD1s, I had a pair and they went faulty so I returned them but never bothered to get them back as they were poor, and purchased Isodynamics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast