+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: MacBook used in a Digital system

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    So what's your take on it then, Chris? Personally I've no doubt that 90% of the things people think matter in digital audio make no difference whatsoever. 'Jitter', 'Bit perfect', 'high resolution' and so on. The things that do matter, like the power supply regulation, no-one seems to be interested in.
    If your DAC uses a USB powered connection then this is a great piece of kit:

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Makes the computer side a lot less relevant, as you get independent, galvanically isolated power for the USB device.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

So what's your take on it then, Chris? Personally I've no doubt that 90% of the things people think matter in digital audio make no difference whatsoever. 'Jitter', 'Bit perfect', 'high resolution' and so on. The things that do matter, like the power supply regulation, no-one seems to be interested in.
    My take on it is that power is everything.
    Clean the mains up effectively and you'll get tangible gains in sound quality.

The main culprit is switching noise from SMPS, and they're all pervasive.
    TVs, DVD/BDPs, central heating, fridges, washing machines - the list goes on and on - they all have SMPS, and they're all chucking switching noise onto the mains.

Reduce all that switching noise, inaudible though it is, and your audio equipment will sound better.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Paul.

I think that things like mains filters are ferrite beads are somewhat effective at stopping noise from the mains getting into your equipment, but are can be much more effective if you use them to stop noise generated by equipment getting onto the mains. This is why instead of using a large mains filter block I use single filters primarily on anything with a switchmode supply including the wifi router, which is close to the HIFI. Ferrite beads are on the fridge and CH boiler mains cables instead on the HIFI mains leads.
    ~Paul~

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think that things like mains filters are ferrite beads are somewhat effective at stopping noise from the mains getting into your equipment, but are can be much more effective if you use them to stop noise generated by equipment getting onto the mains. This is why instead of using a large mains filter block I use single filters primarily on anything with a switchmode supply including the wifi router, which is close to the HIFI. Ferrite beads are on the fridge and CH boiler mains cables instead on the HIFI mains leads.
    That's what I did too.
    Ferrite clamps on everything but the audio system. The audio system doesn't need filtering because all the PSUs are linear, and don't exhibit the high frequency switching noise.
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 11-05-2018 at 09:29.
    Chris

I'm Gary.

I'd avoid these tbh.
    Made my servers sound worse and weren't even compatible with certain hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Actually made the sound worse in my system! I use a fanless PC with solid state drive now, no filters, and my USB output has its own independent power supply, outside of the PC.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    My take on it is that power is everything.
    Clean the mains up effectively and you'll get tangible gains in sound quality.

The main culprit is switching noise from SMPS, and they're all pervasive.
    TVs, DVD/BDPs, central heating, fridges, washing machines - the list goes on and on - they all have SMPS, and they're all chucking switching noise onto the mains.

Reduce all that switching noise, inaudible though it is, and your audio equipment will sound better.
    That's external to the equipment, though. I'm talking about noise generated within the audio equipment itself, which is an entirely separate issue. I'm theorising that this is the reason that cd players with high quality power supplies outperform those with 'just adequate' supplies.

The only smps I have that is active when the hi-fi is on is the router.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

That's external to the equipment, though. I'm talking about noise generated within the audio equipment itself, which is an entirely separate issue. I'm theorising that this is the reason that cd players with high quality power supplies outperform those with 'just adequate' supplies.

The only smps I have that is active when the hi-fi is on is the router.
    Yeah I agree with this, there's only a certain level of performance you're going to get with a couple of regulators feeding multiple chips.

Also how the equipment deals with the noise coming in is important, and in digital, how RF return currents / ground bounce are controlled is paramount. As an example my DAC has balanced mains built in, 9x transformer windings feeding 9x supplies, and each of those supplies is zero feedback and uses 3 stage (passive) common mode filtering. Overkill? I don't think so...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

That's what I did too.
    Ferrite clamps on everything but the audio system. The audio system doesn't need filtering because all the PSUs are linear, and don't exhibit the high frequency switching noise.
    What about all the RFI that rides on the mains?

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    What about all the RFI that rides on the mains?
    The SMPS noise is RFI, just with a limited range of frequencies.
    The local problem is the amplitude of it, and ferrite clamps improve the situation.
    Chris

I'm Neil.

Default MacBook used in a Digital system

The SMPS noise is RFI, just with a limited range of frequencies.
    The local problem is the amplitude of it, and ferrite clamps improve the situation.
    Ah now the increased amplitude of in home RFI vs. the AC lines makes sense to me. Thanks.

Have been looking into lining my DAC and server with ERS paper from Stillpoints, anyone tried it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789