+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: MacBook used in a Digital system

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Haha, we should sort it Martin. Yes I can rip CD to the streamer. Do you have a digital out on the CDP then we could use same DAC?
    One does, one doesn't. But I'm happy to put the DACs in the CD players up against anything made today. If they lose, they lose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't use re-sampling software then. My point is tiny inaccuracies/ differences in the file will not be audible, and audiophiles have a habit of obsessing about the irrelevant stuff whilst completely ignoring what is relevant.
    Martin,

There’s a saying in the trade..
    never go full Serge...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I won't say to makes no difference whether you are using a hard drive or an optical drive to store the file but I think it unlikely that it would make a significant difference. if you consider that the signal is a varying voltage how well the power supply differentiates between voltage steps is what will be critical. That function is entirely independent of what form of data storage is being used.

A CD player is just storage - reader - DAC the same as any digital set up. However despite reading extensively on the subject I've not seen any research that looks at whether a hard drive to DAC over optical drive to DAC is inherently superior or not. Neither have I heard that subjectively demonstrated (which would not be straightforward as there are a lot of variables). So I'm not committing on that either way. If someone reading this knows of such research please post a link.
    The type of hard drive you store Flac files can make a difference!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    The type of hard drive you store Flac files can make a difference!
    How?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    How?

Fair question.
    Cos it does.

Keywords:
    SSD vs mechanical hard drives in file based audio, shielded SATA cables, linear vs switching rail supplies.
    (ps I’m not talking out my arse)
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Tony.

Cos it does.

Keywords:
    SSD vs mechanical hard drives in file based audio.
    (ps I’m not talking out my arse)
    I'm not being dismissive, I'm genuinely curious about how an SSD and HDD medium of storage makes a difference?

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Martin.

Martin,

There’s a saying in the trade..
    never go full Serge...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

I'm not being dismissive, I'm genuinely curious about how an SSD and HDD medium of storage makes a difference?

I hear ya. Me neither Tony.

In my experience, the difference in the way SSDs work compared to mechanical hard drives can make a difference to the final sound quality.
    Depends on how deep your willing to go into the rabbit hole...even different types of power supply to your hard drive can have an impact.

*Disclaimer* This isn’t a precursor to flogging any new digital audio gear, just passing on experience. (Sorry )
    Last edited by Gazjam; 10-05-2018 at 20:39.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Tony.

I hear ya. Me neither Tony.

In my experience, the difference in the way SSDs work compared to mechanical hard drives can make a difference to the final sound quality.
    Depends on how deep you want to dig into the rabbit hole, even different types of power supply to your hard drive can have an impact.

*Disclaimer* This isn’t a precursor to flogging any new digital audio gear, just passing on experience. (Sorry )
    I guess the bit I'm having trouble with is the perceived lack of physical connection between my storage medium and the rest of the chain. In a NAS connected only by Ethernet cable to the audio system, would the difference between SSD and HDD be audible from the packets being transmitted?

I'm Martin.

Adds noise, I suppose. Electrical rather than mechanical. Never done the comparison myself mind. I'd be surprised if I could hear its sole contribution but when you consider that every device involved has the potential to add noise to the signal it can all add up unless steps have been taken to ensure they don't.

Get enough of it and your sending that out with your noughts and ones, into the DAC which adds a bit more, the signal is converted to analogue but it is still just current in a wire and it keeps all that noise with it, through the amplifiers and out of the speakers along with the music. Result is you get a stodgier sound, flatter soundstage, nothing sounds 'real' anymore. Not unpleasant to listen to but not special either.

I'm theorising here, you understand. Based on my own experiences and what I've read. Don't take that as gospel.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast