+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The interest in Hi-Fi

I'm Martin.

I'd rather it was niche, once something becomes mainstream it gets ruined. Look at football and cricket.

And people have been predicting the end of hi-fi for as long as I have been involved which is 30 years. Some people just like to predict gloom and doom, is the only reason I can think of.

If the hobby is less popular then who is buying all that kit on eBay? But the same people who complain that the hobby is dying are also moaning about there being no bargains on eBay anymore. They can't be right about both!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If the hobby is less popular then who is buying all that kit on eBay? But the same people who complain that the hobby is dying are also moaning about there being no bargains on eBay anymore. They can't be right about both!
    Good point Martin. Does make you think.

But then are people thinking they might get a good deal buying from e-bay?
    I'd say no with the way prices are going.

I'm Steve.

Nothing wrong with "niche"?

When all my mates were into team sports (football, rugby, cricket), I got into weightlifting and powerlifting.

While a lot of people I know play golf, which seems to be very popular, I took up archery.

While many people my age are buying caravans and motorhomes, me and the missus have a garage full of motorbikes.

If everyone got into Hi-Fi, I'm sure it would lose some of its appeal for me.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Its was always pretty niche though and I keep thinking of all the dealers that have closed down. Aston in Alderley edge, Swifts in Wilmslow...a place I loved in Stockport called Murrays which lasted about a year in the 1980s so it always seemed a tough market to sell in

Thats just off the top of my head. The local Bang and Olufsen centres still seem to be going though

Its hard to put a finger on other than most people just buy what they want to buy. If a phone and a bluetooth speaker does it for them who am I to complain. Its not actually a bad sound from a laptop into some Grados. I hope people make some effort to get a rated product.

I would like to see figures on units sold and think the serial numbers tell the true story compared with the total population

Anyway it can sound like snobbery. I dont really care what people buy if they are happy enough.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I still think the discussion is rather UK market-centric. Of course, maybe it was intended to be, but...

I picked a name at random (honest) - Mordaunt Short. Looking at their website they currently sell 6 types of floorstander and 7 types of standmount or bookshelf speaker. That doesn't sound like their market is drying up. Then look at the store locator - more territories than you can shake a pointy stick at. Then look at the distribution network - eg 18 retailers in India.

Either they're bucking the trend or there is still a taste for new hi-fi.

Pete

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    I still think the discussion is rather UK market-centric. Of course, maybe it was intended to be, but...

I picked a name at random (honest) - Mordaunt Short. Looking at their website they currently sell 6 types of floorstander and 7 types of standmount or bookshelf speaker. That doesn't sound like their market is drying up. Then look at the store locator - more territories than you can shake a pointy stick at. Then look at the distribution network - eg 18 retailers in India.

Either they're bucking the trend or there is still a taste for new hi-fi.

Pete
    Good point. A niche market in India or China is still tens of millions of people. It's all on a different scale out there. Even if it became much more popular here in the UK we would still be a tiny market by comparison.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The above is the 'your logic' I was referring to. However, irrespective of the existence of logic or not, I still think you are wrong. As for 'speedracer's' belief that hi-fi has become a niche subject - err, yeah - it's always been a niche interest, this isn't a recent phenomena!
    Ffs take a chill pill.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd rather it was niche, once something becomes mainstream it gets ruined. Look at football and cricket.

And people have been predicting the end of hi-fi for as long as I have been involved which is 30 years. Some people just like to predict gloom and doom, is the only reason I can think of.

Fair point Macca.

I'm Dennis.

Countries go through cycles of economic abundance and decline, and I think Hi-Fi depends to an extent on the former, and this may also be prompted by artistic growth periods.

Other countries may well be going through a positive period and their aspiring people gaining economic power, so perhaps a rise in the 'middle class'.

I am almost coming to the conclusion that I am rather odd for valuing my Hi-Fi compared with most of the population, to the extent that I feel I may be in error for being so.

I'm Grant.

Liking stuff that most others dont is great. But, if you want to join the pop idol crowd
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast