+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bi-Integrated-Amping

I'm Michael.

I just love having mono blocks, one for each driver in a speaker system. And with independent volume control for right and left channels - you will either love this or it will drive you mad.

I'm Roland.

Default Bi Amping with 2 identical integrated amps

Thanks for the discussion so far...
    Zero hour, or the moment of truth is about to happen
    I will pick up my 2nd Arcam A39 on Monday, and start the process ; 1 amp for treble the other for bass
    Does anyone know where I can find more info on this setup ?

I am particularly puzzled about matching gain on both amps... I will use Pre-Out on Amp1 (treble) into Aux of Amp2 (bass)
    For instance, if I set volume to 10...20...30 on the first amp I very much doubt that the 2nd amp will match it "in parallel" at vol 10...20...30 settings...
    Any help will be appreciated. For instance, do I attach my REL 7i/T to the first or second Amp ? Indeed do I run treble or bass off the first ?

Completely in the dark until someone helps me out !
    Thx, Roland

I'm Roland.

That's what I will end up with one day... .100% for sure

I'm Andy.

My (unqualified) thoughts are that I wouldn't worry too much about matching volume levels. Think of it as a chance to have separate control over bass and treble levels and adjust to taste.

As for the sub, I'm not familiar with it, but older RELs had 2 ways to connect: Speakon from your speaker terminals and phono from a preamp out. If yours is the same, couldn't you just use the preamp out from the 2nd amp?

If you want or need to use speakons from the speaker terminals, it shouldn't matter too much which you use, but my instinct would be to run them off the amp that's taking care of treble duties because it's supplying less current.

Again, I stress I'm not technically qualified in any way. Just sharing my instincts on what I would try. At least of I'm wrong, somebody will speak up and you'll get a better answer

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    My (unqualified) thoughts are that I wouldn't worry too much about matching volume levels. Think of it as a chance to have separate control over bass and treble levels and adjust to taste.

As for the sub, I'm not familiar with it, but older RELs had 2 ways to connect: Speakon from your speaker terminals and phono from a preamp out. If yours is the same, couldn't you just use the preamp out from the 2nd amp?

If you want or need to use speakons from the speaker terminals, it shouldn't matter too much which you use, but my instinct would be to run them off the amp that's taking care of treble duties because it's supplying less current.

Again, I stress I'm not technically qualified in any way. Just sharing my instincts on what I would try. At least of I'm wrong, somebody will speak up and you'll get a better answer
    My thoughts exactly, so far ! Thanks

I'm Dennis.

It seems that you are using these amps in 'horizontal' mode; one stereo amp is feeding both channels' top ends, and the other both bass ends.

This does mean that one amp is working much harder than the other, and demands on its power supply will be relatively very great.

I'm Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    It seems that you are using these amps in 'horizontal' mode; one stereo amp is feeding both channels' top ends, and the other both bass ends.

This does mean that one amp is working much harder than the other, and demands on its power supply will be relatively very great.
    Yes, Yes, this is what I want to do... at the moment I use an Arcam A90 for my treble and a matching power amp P90 for my bass. These are a little dated now, though still sounding good..
    So it is this kind of configuration I wish to stay with. The official / matching power Amp for the A39 Integrated is the P49 but it cost 4x what the A39 does. I wish Arcam did a matching P39.

I'm Mark.

I have in the past both bi-amped and mono blocked with Musical Fidelity P180's and CRPS ( Choke Regulated Power Supply). I have to say initially the bi-amped option was a big improvement over just the one amp even with the CRPS added but mono blocked with a P180 and CRPS for each channel was definitely better ! These were driving Celestion SL600 and briefly also SL6000 but to be fair the addition of the subs was too much for the P180's. I have heard several systems using different amps for the high and low frequency but never been totally convinced when compared to monoblocks or bi-amping with the same amps.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Mark.

Old School!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123