+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The importance of having 'power' at the centre....

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wonder why then that any high-end home-cinema set up you see always contains a top-notch (and usually a very large) centre speaker

Marco.
    Fashion? 'Cos it's expected? Status?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I find some mixes tend to emphasise it too much, so you are actually listening just to the centre speaker. Added to which even a rubbish centre speaker is stupidly expensive for what it is. Okay, Marco gets round that by using the same speaker as he does for his fronts, but then you have the issue with the lateral dispersion not being right.
    I agree, as I've already said, and I've got some films which sound exactly like you describe, so I adjust the levels (in terms of distance and output) of the centre and fronts accordingly to compensate.

It doesn't solve the problem, but it helps. However, conversely, when the mix is spot on, the effect (in terms of recreating a convincing sounding film soundtrack) is MUCH better in my system, than when only a pair of stereo speakers is used.

Not that it really matters, the only question is can you actually hear any difference? And the answer is usually 'no'.
    Well, I can certainly hear a difference, that's for sure!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Fashion? 'Cos it's expected? Status?
    Doubtless that applies to an extent Geoff (for some folk), such is the nature of the beast, but for me, there's more to it than that. All I can say is that, using my own home-cinema system as an example, the positives of having introduced a large and high-quality centre speaker into the equation, have been considerable.

The single 15XR, employed for those duties cost £30, excluding the cap and binding posts upgrade. A total bargain!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Duncan.

Ok your sitting in the front row at the cinema.

Massive screen, if you didn’t have a centre channel vocals would appear not to come from the actors on screen but somewhere to the left or right.

In the home this isn’t problem as the distance you watch from is usually further than the distance the left and right speakers are apart.

I don’t use a centre as I don’t like vocals positioned below the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post
    Ok your sitting in the front row at the cinema.

Massive screen, if you didn’t have a centre channel vocals would appear not to come from the actors on screen but somewhere to the left or right.

In the home this isn’t problem as the distance you watch from is usually further than the distance the left and right speakers are apart.

I don’t use a centre as I don’t like vocals positioned below the screen.
    Good point, Dunc, and fair enough. However, I do

When you come round next time, I'll demonstrate the home-cinema set up to you, and you can see what you think

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

ISTR that the original brief for stereo reproduction used three speakers, the extra being a center speaker.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

my only criticism is that you have it stuffed in the bloody corner, if you're going to do home cinema you should if possible look to put it across a wall and then once again if possible sit in the centre of the sound field. Most people have to compromise somewhere, that compromise can undo good components, in my opinion the set up and positioning of speakers and furniture is key and the most likely to see you in the divorce courts unfortunately.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Is that post directed at me, Mike?

If so, I had no option but to "stuff it in the bloody corner", as there's a window (to the right of the TV) in the middle of the wall where ideally a TV would go, and which we sit directly in front of. And I ain't blocking it up with a 50" widescreen Tele

I agree wholeheartedly that set up and positioning of speakers and furniture is key, so I've done my best to optimise that, within some compromises, whist most importantly making the room comfortable to sit in and not spoiling its traditional aesthetics, with it being part of a 19th century property.

Fortunately, there's no chance of me being involved in divorce courts, as I have an understanding wife who loves music and movies, and wants to enjoy them at their best, just as much as me!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mike.

i wondered how long it would take to get a bite hahaha!!! i think that's probably why most people shy away from 5.1 or even 7.1 systems, 2 speakers even large ones can be accommodated in most living rooms, the cables hidden behind furniture, but adding another 4 or 6 more speakers and cable runs is often very tricky to set up just right and usually too much for most wives to put up with or as you've said the space you have doesn't lend itself to being set up as a cinema. in my opinion hiding the cables can be the hardest thing to do, convincing the missus that the freshly decorated walls have to be chased so the cable can be installed properly is usually the last straw.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Lol... That's why it pays to marry someone who shares the same passions in life as you! Otherwise, what's the point?

No, the room was never designed to be a 'cinema', simply a comfortable living space, within an old lodge house, for two movie/music lovers to enjoy both reproduced to an acceptable standard.

The main focal point, however, was, and always will be, the inglenook fireplace and wood burner, not the TV......

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast