+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of having 'power' at the centre....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Missed this earlier, soz...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Cool. we still have to sort out that trip to Frank's. I guess after Easter now though.
    Yeah, defo... Just give me a shout when you fancy it. Have you thought any more about cabs?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Missed this earlier, soz...

Yeah, defo... Just give me a shout when you fancy it. Have you thought any more about cabs?

Marco.
    Looks like Ardens but I still need to sort out someone to build them. I still need to sort everything out basically.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Good stuff Marco, looks (and no doubt sounds) the biz.
    Cheers, mate. I'm lovin' it! As you know yourself, having a nice home-cinema set up, it just makes watching films *so* much more interesting and enjoyable

Those Cardas copper binding posts look interesting, might rewire my Eddingdales with a set actually.
    Oh, got that bit of mains cable today, hooking it up to the balanced mains tommorow into one of those Missing Link silver sockets you recommended.
    The Cardas binding posts are top notch, Gaz. They're beautifully engineered and make a great connection. Good value too, at £27.00 a pair, considering that they're solid copper.

Glad the cable got there ok. You should like what it does, as that Furukawa stuff is pretty much the best there is, and ideal for the application you're putting it in. As you'll see, it was part of an MCRU 'Ultimate' mains lead (those that sell for £650 a pop), which was cut down in length.

Let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Looks like Ardens but I still need to sort out someone to build them. I still need to sort everything out basically.
    What we need to do is convince Frank to do the job

Honestly, he's probably forgotten more than you and I will ever know about Tannoys!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Well I don't know much about them. I've heard 4 sets of good ones including yours, Ian's, a set at the Scalford show, and Paul RFC's Canterburys. I've also heard them sounding rubbish but they were all either completely vintage and knackered or badly set up with poor partnering equipment, or both. So I know that they can be excellent done right.

I'm interested to hear your A/V system. I've had a few configurations over the years and I'm starting to think that vintage speakers are the way to go for A/V. The main sin of vintage speakers like your Celestions or my Akais is that they are a little soft on leading edges. But that is an advantage when listening to pumped up soundtracks as they don't grate on you. It's all there, just slightly softened.
    Current Lash Up:

I get where you're coming from, but 'soft' is the wrong word, as I can assure you there's nothing soft about the sound of 15XRs, especially when recapped! However, they certainly have a fuller and less 'forced'/artificial presentation than many modern speakers, which does work very well with movies.

I think the 'grating' thing you mention is perhaps due to the overly-revealing/clinical nature of a quality 2-channel hi-fi amplifier, when employed on movie duties. That's where a good dedicated multi-channel amp comes in, as it's purpose built to separate and handle all the different sounds, which is why I'll be sticking with the Sony [and always with a dedicated AV amp in the home-cinema system], as it does such a good job in that respect.

In fact, all the Sony gear I'm using in the A/V system combines really well!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yes soft is the wrong word. What I meant is that you don't get that 'cutting' nature to the sound. Some soundtracks are all eq'd up so they punch out and that can get a bit too much with speakers 'voiced in the modern idiom', no matter how many channels you have.

Watching films on my system through the Akais reminds me of going to the Odeon or ABC in the '70s, before surround sound, when they still had the big speakers built in beneath or behind the screen. No multi-channel. The character of the sound is similar. I've got the kit here to go to 5.1 or even 7.1 but I don't feel the need anymore.
    Current Lash Up:

Yeah I getcha,... However, as good as it was then, it really is much better now, with Dolby DTS/Atmos surround sound, done well on a compatible player and amp. Trust me, once you hear that, nothing else will do!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Man, I had DTS years ago. I've run an A/V system since 1991, had the old analogue Dolby surround set up, got DVD when it first came out (£200 for a budget player!) went to digital 5.1 in about 2002. Atmos is pretty new, so I've nothing capable of doing that, But I've never bought a Blu-ray disc anyway.

I've only got three priorities now; that I can hear the dialogue without any struggle, even at low volume, that machine guns firing sound enough like machine guns firing to suspend my disbelief, and that it doesn't grate on me even with the most pumped up action film soundtrack. The surround thing is fun but ultimately, to me it was a novelty that wore off. A good film doesn't need it and it won't make a bad film any better.
    Current Lash Up:

I've only got three priorities now; that I can hear the dialogue without any struggle, even at low volume, that machine guns firing sound enough like machine guns firing to suspend my disbelief, and that it doesn't grate on me even with the most pumped up action film soundtrack. The surround thing is fun but ultimately, to me it was a novelty that wore off. A good film doesn't need it and it won't make a bad film any better.
    Sure, I agree with that last bit. However, in terms of how successfully you can suspend disbelief, as mentioned above, IME surround sound [done right], with the right film, especially action movies, does precisely that better than anything produced in basic stereo

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast