+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica AT-95EX

I'm Graham.

Default Audio Technica AT-95EX

Does anyone have any experience with an Audio Technica AT-95EX cartridge? I have been offered one as a swap, but I have never owned an Audio Technica cartridge of any type. I believe that the MC ones are pretty good but that the MM ones can be "bright."
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Kevin.

Being on of the cheaper AT cartridges, it is nothing special, so it depends on what the swap is for,
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dazz.

Street price, about $50 or less new. However, the AT95 is often cited as being a very nice sounding cartridge for the price, and with upgrade styluses can sound very nice indeed. I bought an AT95VL (comes with a Vivid line stylus from LP Gear) and I have a feeling it beats the AT440Mla that I also have.

I'm Adam.

I still think the AT95E is one of the biggest audio bargains ever and I keep meaning to try a fancier stylus in one of mine.

The one I really miss, though, is the AT110E. That was a true giant-killer.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with an Audio Technica AT-95EX cartridge?
    Never heard the EX, but I've always found the AT-95E way too bright for my taste. It might liven up a dull sounding system, but I would label it more 'hi-fi' than 'musical'.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Being on of the cheaper AT cartridges, it is nothing special, so it depends on what the swap is for,
    The swap is not for anything audio.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I still think the AT95E is one of the biggest audio bargains ever and I keep meaning to try a fancier stylus in one of mine.

The one I really miss, though, is the AT110E. That was a true giant-killer.
    Thanks for the input, Adam.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Never heard the EX, but I've always found the AT-95E way too bright for my taste. It might liven up a dull sounding system, but I would label it more 'hi-fi' than 'musical'.
    According to Audio Technica UK, the "X" is an "improved" version. Your comment regarding it sounding too "bright" confirms what I had heard previously.

I'm Graham.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'll suck it and see. Watch this space.

I'm Andy.

I agree that the 110e is the outstanding model. I'd describe the 95e as crude rather than bright, but it's still great for the money. I've never heard the EX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast