+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker advice for a friend

I'm gerald.

Default Speaker advice for a friend

A friend turned up today played him some tracks etc ,I have ditton 15xr`s he loved them but want`s a bit more bass but want a set thats about the same size as my speakers any ideas?

I'm James.

My old IAS speakers would've fitted the bill. Can't remember the model, they had bass in spades!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Your friend is likely to be out of luck. Most speakers that size would struggle to better the bass of the Ditton 15XR.

Some seventies AR6's might go a touch lower, if you can find a pair with decent foam cone surrounds. Otherwise, the only others I can think of that go deep for their size are PMC's, but you'd be looking at a fair bit more money.

If he wants a cheap option for bass in quantity and doesn't mind something a fraction bigger, maybe Goodmans Magnums, Wharfedale Dovedale III, KEF Cadenza or Concerto.

I'm steve.

One thing you haven’t mentioned is how much he’s prepared to pay, that’s the governing factor as to what he’s able to get, also why go for old speakers when there are plenty of modern designs that perform extremely well for not a lot of money, not only that lots of modern bookshelf speakers are more than capable at the bass end, send him to the nearest Richer Sounds and get him to audition a selection in his price bracket, he’ll no doubt find something to his liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Michael.

My tannoy Mercury V1 have plenty of bass

I'm Steve.

My parents had 15XR's with their Rotel separates, and I always thought they sounded really good.

If you are otherwise happy with the sound and size of them, how about trying a sub with them? Some can be found for reasonable money if you go s/hand.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Michael.

The 15 XRs going for good money on eBay !! How much were they new anyone know ?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    The 15 XRs going for good money on eBay !! How much were they new anyone know ?
    I have them in the lounge, my main set up is in a dedicated room down the garden. Paid £30 from a member here and on lenco. I've seen them for less on eBay. A sub may help for a subtle underpinning.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm gerald.

Out of intrest if he got a set of Ditton`s would it be worth trying a sound deading sheet inside the cabinet behind the bass unit and abr and would a change of capacitor to a different value also help?

I'm Andy.

KEF104AB? They do have lots of bass. Not my thing personally, but seem to fit the bill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast