+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filling Ruark Talisman with sand

I'm Mike.

Default Filling Ruark Talisman with sand

An issue I'm sure some of you have encountered, may'be a few years ago though........
    So, where do I get these sand bags? Just fill regular plastic bags with sand? Any advice? The holes are small.........very small! How to get them in - or out!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't let sand anywhere near speakers of mine.

I'm Martin.

Use plastic bags, as you have found out you have to use a lot of little ones as one big one won't go through the hole when full.

The thicker sandwich/freezer type bags are best, but double bag all the same.

Don't expect miracles of sound transformation btw - you'll get some benefit though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Dont do it
    not worth wrecking your speakers should a bag burst

Steve...

I'm Gary.

Mine were already filled with the relevant one kilo (I think).

If I was doing it I would insert a plastic bag through the hole that would take more than one kilo.

If you blow into the mouth of the bag (obviously before it disappears ) it will expand into the sealed chamber.

Carefully lying the speaker on its front, you can now fill the bag with silver sand (the sand must be perfectly dry) through a tundish (that you may have to pinch from the kitchen) up to one kilo.

You don't get it out, but why would you want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    An issue I'm sure some of you have encountered, may'be a few years ago though........
    So, where do I get these sand bags? Just fill regular plastic bags with sand? Any advice? The holes are small.........very small! How to get them in - or out!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Dont do it
    not worth wrecking your speakers should a bag burst

Steve...
    The Chamber is sealed.

I'm Martin.

Yes the speakers are designed to be loaded. The chamber to be used is entirely separate from the drive unit housings.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    The Chamber is sealed.
    I have owned many pairs of Ruark speakers over the years and never found the need to put sand in them. Nor have I filled retailers pockets by buying sound bites etching. Try taking the spikes off and standing them on a small bag of cheap sand if you really feel the need to do anything.it won't add mass I know but it minimises downwards energy. Ideal if you live in a flat. Otherwise I think the sand filling thing is bollocks.

I'm John.

I owned the original Talismans some years ago and had dry silver sand loaded in the sealed chamber. I recall it did tighten the bass somewhat, especially if used near a rear wall. But not a night and day experience.

If you decide to try sand make sure it is ''bone'' dry.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Mike.

Thanks all, I'll give it a try I guess, I do like taut bass.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread