Thread: Speaker cable length

I'm Gary.

Occam's razor

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Occam's razor
    that applies to almost everything in HIFi

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You say aiming for minimum cable length is desirable, and that is what Gary is wanting to do: but to do so the cables will be unequal in length. So if he uses two cables 6 meters long, how do you propose he looses the extra length? Coiling it up will increase the inductance (and it is inductance that is most relevent when it comes to speaker cables). A loose serpentine layout would be better.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

[QUOTE=Barry;961093]You say aiming for minimum cable length is desirable, and that is what Gary is wanting to do: but to do so the cables will be unequal in length. So if he uses two cables 6 meters long, how do you propose he looses the extra length? Coiling it up will increase the inductance (and it is inductance that is most relevent when it comes to speaker cables). A loose serpentine layout would be better.[/QUOTE

This is true, my cable jumble is like a vipers nest, however I try to rearrange ALL of my cables, they always appear to be knitted into a sweater.

What effect on other more sensitive (?) cables like IC's or computer cables would 3 or 4 metres of coiled (however configured) speaker cable have.

I have a finite space between speakers and sources which, of course, is not ideal, but probably usual.

I'm Grant.

Default Speaker cable lenght

In vast majority of cases it's going to be minimal at best. Good practice to keep it tidy tho. My Amps are on top of speakers so cable is just about a metre and quarter if memory serves. Gives me a little leeway. Use longer interconnects tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You say aiming for minimum cable length is desirable, and that is what Gary is wanting to do: but to do so the cables will be unequal in length. So if he uses two cables 6 meters long, how do you propose he looses the extra length? Coiling it up will increase the inductance (and it is inductance that is most relevent when it comes to speaker cables). A loose serpentine layout would be better.
    Well I have one speaker further away from the amps than the other. I simply have a loose weave of cable as to minimise inductance. I also know that this isn't practical for everyone and was talking in terms of "ideally....."

I'm Geoff.

I like at least a metre longer speaker cables than the minimum length to reach the speakers. It makes life easier.

I'm Gary.

Forgot, I'm bi-wiring so problem twice as normal, I guess.

Don't want to start a discussion on bi-wiring, so can we stay on topic please.

I'm Neil.

If you want to cure your OCD and niggling doubts, then keep them the same length.

Otherwise, don't worry about it, at all.

Some people seem to have 'platinum' ears that can hear the difference between equal and unequal cables, but for me this is expectation bias & that 'niggling doubt' creeping in.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

I run 6m one side under a fire place and 2m the other side.

I was lucky to be able to clarify with Colin Wonfor if it would make any difference-its his amps and cables i run....he advised it was not an issue.

Might be an idea to contact your amp manufacturer, just in case.

If memory serves naca5 and naim amps have an issue with load....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast