+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can someone enlighten me...?

I'm Steve.

There is a 1980s 3.0s for sale on Classic Cars for silly money £29,995.
    More than 3 times its cost when new.....

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    There is a 1980s 3.0s for sale on Classic Cars for silly money £29,995.
    More than 3 times its cost when new.....
    Perhaps, I should have kept my 3.0L S (a very rare orange or red ... for the blind) until now...... and purchased a decent DAC in exchange.... lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Years ago, I borrowed a Hafler DH101 pre-amp in very nice condition from a friend. He'd been raving about how good it was. I compared it to the Rappaport Pre 2 I'd been using for a while. It didn't aquit itself too well, it sounded as though somebody had thrown a blanket over the music compared to the Rappaport.
    I expect your Rappaport Pre 2 was considerably more expensive than the Hafler DH101, but to suggest that the Hafler "sounded as if somebody had thrown a blanket over the music" (?), doesn't correspond with my experience.

I bought mine from REW in 1979 following very favourable review in the Absolute Sound. I still have it, and if Andy is interested I could dig it out, check it over, and offer it for sale. It has had very little use, so the caps ought to be fine.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I expect your Rappaport Pre 2 was considerably more expensive than the Hafler DH101, but to suggest that the Hafler "sounded as if somebody had thrown a blanket over the music" (?), doesn't correspond with my experience.
    Compared to the Rappaport, the Hafler lacked transparency and lucidity. I was surprised myself having heard it sounding decent in my friend's system, but I tried it with my Audio Concepts Legend P300 power amp and it was not to my liking. I'd borrowed the DH101 with a view to possibly buying it, but decided against it.

I'm Andy.

Hi Barry, I would be interested in your hafler. Please let me know more details when you uncover it

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, used to own an RC850 with a couple of power amps as monoblocks and always thought that the power amps powered above the preamp. The pre was a real lightweight compared to the power amps.

I'm manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yeah, used to own an RC850 with a couple of power amps as monoblocks and always thought that the power amps powered above the preamp. The pre was a real lightweight compared to the power amps.
    Be careful buying a preamp . It can make or break a system . Remember in the preamp tiny voltages are amplified so it is difficult to design properly . Add tone controls and not what and you have disaster .Add to that the fact that being of old age capacitor might be leaking you might have to in a rather short time send it for repair and it won't be inexpensive . Recomendations ? Perreaux SM2 or SM3 . P.S. Audio 4.6 or 5.0 . Audible Illusions Modulus 2C or 2D . B&k Vintage preamps were good too. All of these are well made with good quality capacitors , sound good plus look good and are inexpensive relative to their price new . If you can hear in your system before buying that would be the way to go .

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I'm Tim.

You can find the RSP960AX on eBay for around £70. Being a Pro-Logic surround processor (not even Dolby Digital) I guess people are chucking 'em out as obsolete. But it's also a fine stereo preamp.
    Currently rocking:

foobar2000 or Qobuz -> ifi iSUB3.0 -> Chord Mojo - > Marantz HD-AMP1 - > Dali Menuet / Sennheiser HD700

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123