+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MC Cartridge & SUT advice

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Andrew is correct, the step-up transformers in the 868PL (I assume this is the model) are the same as those in EAR's MC3 step-up (three ratios available 1:10, 1:20 and 1:10) and are decent quality indeed the MC3 used to sell for about £1000 on its own before it was replaced by the MC4.

It's the step-up transformers in the EAR 834P phono stage that people tend to dismiss and in general I would agree with them, it's an entry level product that while fairly competent has been pumped up in price way beyond any justification. (I think when it came out, the base MM version used to sell for under £300, it's about treble that now).
    Tom's comment is really the reason for the original post: my preamp is an EAR 864, which I understand is basically an 834L and 834P in the same box. If I could find a used 868PL I would be a very happy chap!

I still think the earlier advice is valid - get the MC cart, try it with my current amp and try an outboard SUT or headamp when I can

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    Tom's comment is really the reason for the original post: my preamp is an EAR 864, which I understand is basically an 834L and 834P in the same box. If I could find a used 868PL I would be a very happy chap!

I still think the earlier advice is valid - get the MC cart, try it with my current amp and try an outboard SUT or headamp when I can
    Ahh gotcha I had the model wrong. I know the 868 but never played with an 864. Yes a decent outboard SUT or head amp is what you need. Andrew's suggestions are certainly worth checking out.

I'm Kim.

Just thought I should complete the thread with an update:

I ended up buying a Audio Technica AT33PGT/II and fitted it the other day. I've read it takes 20+ hours to run it, but through the EAR 864 phono stage switched to MC it does sound like a significant step forward already.

Unable to wait, I also bought a barely used SJS Electroacoustics SUT http://http://sjselectroacoustics.blogspot.co.uk/ from a very nice chap. This does take the performance to another level, though as Andrew and Dave have said, the EAR transformers are very respectable (I'm not giving up the Hashimoto's though!).

Thank you for all of your advice - super helpful as always.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think you'll be very happy with that combination, good choices.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, your EAR's phonostage has built-in step-up transformers for MC cartridges. I've heard people say the built-in transformers are not much good, but those people are usually repeating what they've heard others say - and they're probably just repeating what they've heard others say. It could just be something that was said on a forum and has been endlessly repeated ever since.
    It was probably me who started that rumour and I'm happy to repeat it again. Having owned the MM/MC version of the 834P. Tried with various MC carts, I found the internal SUT's in the unit are bland sounding and veiled. The Fidelity Research and Osawa SUT's I had at the time, sounded far better used through the MM side of the 834P.

I don't rate the 834P as special anyway. It's pleasant in MM use, but not outstanding and it is way overpriced second hand now. I replaced mine with a Graham Slee ERA Gold V which wiped the floor with it.

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I think you'll be very happy with that combination, good choices.
    Thanks Chris - I'm sure I will be!

I'm ADRIAN.

The 834p has a lot of gain (designed with the idea of running the one with a volume control straight into a power amp) so I can play my Moving Coil Dynavector DV xx-2 through the EAR on mm setting so not using the built in transformers . But I would not say it sounds any better for not using the in built transformers. Am I forgetting something here?
    Last edited by Castroil; 30-05-2018 at 22:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12