+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello Message

I'm Roy.

Cool Hello Message

I have been a hi-fi enthusiast for 36 years.
    I change my system around fairly regularly and could justifiably be called a box swapper.
    I have always chased audio nirvana and I have owned many turntables, CD players and tuners. I have had valve, transistor and class D amps and most types of speakers, including panels, horns and electrostatics.
    I am not a great believer in expensive cables.
    My biggest regret is not keeping a list of what I have owned.
    My favourite items include Kuzma turntables, Opus 21 CD player, Magnum Dynalab tuners, SJS preamps, Border Patrol and Transcription Audio valve amps and a Horning Agathons.
    My current kit includes a Croft-modified Lector 0.5T CD player with active Nytech CA252/CXA252 amps and ARC 102 Speakers.
    I enjoy attending the Wigwam show, but missed out this year due to the snow. I may end up exhibiting next year.
    After numerous poor experiences, my only advice is to try and sell any unwanted gear without using eBay or PayPal.

I'm Martin.

Hi Roy, welcome to the Forum.

You've had a fair bit of serious kit over the years, looking at your list there. Always wanted to hear the active Nytech/Arc set-up, it looks well thought-through.

Agree with you about selling on ebay, no idea why people still do that when there are forums to sell on; much more positive experience.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Roy,

Yes, you certainly have rung the changes when it comes to audio gear. If you had kept a list of the gear that has passed by your ears, we could set up a competition to see who is "The Grand Master Box Swapper" (there are a few contenders here!)

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 23-03-2018 at 22:56.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hi Roy. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've had fun getting through all that equipment. Your current set-up is unusual and interesting.

There's a lot going on here, so just join in and chat with everybody.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff,

I'm Roy.

Default Hello Message

I am sure that there are lots of members who have tried and owned lots of kit over the years. I was not trying to set any records when I started out. Probably like many people, I have found that my music tastes have evolved over the years. In recent years I developed a taste for classical music and 1950’s jazz, but this has been followed by a new interest in folk music and my returning interest in rock and pop.
    The Nytech amps have been fully refurbished by a local engineer, but I appreciate that it is a strange mix with a valve-based CD player. I do find that I am listening to the system more often than previously owned expensive systems, so for around £1000 all-in I think that I am doing quite well. A friend owns a system involving either an Acoustic Solid or Kuzma deck with Canary amps and Spendor speakers. The used cost was over £10k, but I think the law of diminishing returns has kicked in, as I prefer listening to my system.

+ Reply to Thread