+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Thanks Andi,

What I really need to know is the sensitivity of your Skytronics and Prosound speakers. I can't find any information on them on the web.

The sensitivity is usually quoted in dB/W at say 1metre, and gives a measure of the loudness of the speakers for a given power at their input.
    Barry

I'm Andi.

Sorry,but that's all that's said on the labels for the Skytronic.

The Prosound are model N92FN
    8ohm,
    frequency response 60Hz - 18kHz
    Sensitivity 94dB

I've just ordered a QTX SPL1000 1000w Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth, USB, SD & FM Player

Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz
    THD: <0.5%
    S/N ratio: 95dB
    Channel crosstalk: >82dB (@ 1kHz)
    Input impedance: >10k Ohms
    Power max.: 1000W

So this should be more robust for lugging about, and won't spoil the speakers with "clipping", but now I am concerned that I might turn it up too much and blow them, so might need to get bigger speakers after all...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've had a look at the Prosound N92FN speakers and they have a quoted sensitivity of 94dB/W. The maximum power they can handle is 150W.

150W is 22dBW, so the speakers when fed with the maximum power of 150W will produce a sound pressure level of 94 + 22 = 116dB. This is very loud, though not untypical in nightclubs.

To give you some idea of how loud it is: 100dB is the loudnesss level of a pneumatic drill heard at a distance of 12'. 110dB is the loudness level produced by chainsaw, or a jet plane taking off. Ear defenders are used by personnel working in these highly noisy environments.

Although the sound pressure level in the venue will not be a constant level of 115dB, remember permanent hearing damage will be caused if one is subjected to such loudness levels for more than 15 minutes.

I suggest you enqire as to the permitted levels allowed by your local council, and use a sound level meter to check they are not exceeded.
    Barry

I'm Andi.

Barry

That's great news as far as making sure that it's not too quiet; do you recommend using the 80w amp (which could be 40w/channel, not sure) and making sure it does not "clip", or the 500w/channel amp and keeping the volume down?

Andi

I'm Martin.

Use the more powerful amp and keep a check on the volume. You can tell if it is loud enough or too loud, trust your judgement.

There is less chance of the 1000w amp clipping and less chance of it packing in under sustained load. I'd test the whole system at gig level first for a good hour or so just to make sure. Don't leave it to the soundcheck. Make sure the new amp is fault free and robust way before hand. But have the other amp as a spare with you too. Ideally have a spare for everything.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andi.

I just saw the same amp bundled with 2 x 150w speakers! I asked them why they were selling a 1000w amp with these, this is their response

Although the amp is 1000W that is a maximum combined power for both of the channels. each channel is in fact 150w per side which is matched perfectly to the speakers.

That sounds to me like 300w total, surely a case of misrepresentation ?

I'm Grant.

the smaller value will be the rms(root mean sq) the other if its genuine and i doubt it could be maybe a peak to peak or something
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post

Although the amp is 1000W that is a maximum combined power for both of the channels. each channel is in fact 150w per side which is matched perfectly to the speakers.
    That's probably correct. The claimed 1000 watt output is likely the (useless) PMPO rating.

I looked at a few reviews. It seems to have reliabilty issues and noisy fans. Still, at £89.95 you won't get top quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12