+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

I'm Andi.

Default Hello

Hi

I've been into music and associated electronics for years.

I built my first disco unit at 14, from 2 old gramophones dropped into the rather pretty front from my parents' old piano. Kept on trestles over my bed.

It never went on the road, but was great practice for queuing the next tune.

Now the proud owner of an NEC A820E amplifier, running into Skytronic speakers and occasionally ProSound speakers, with SoundLab decks, and a Numark CD mixer.

Looking for advice on matching bigger amp and speakers, ie do the speakers need to bigger than the amp, or the other way round ???

Thanks
    Andi

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS Andi
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Hello Andi. Welcome to AOS.

If you want opinions on amp matching, why not start a thread in the Blank Canvas section and ask a few questions? I'm sure our members can help.

In any case, power matching is not too critical.

Feel free to join in with the chat here, there's plenty going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Martin.

Hi Andi, welcome to the Forum
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Andi,

All of your equipment is unfamiliar to me, but when it comes to amplifier power it is always better to have too much power than too little. If the amplifier is underpowered for the speaker there is a risk it will 'clip', and the high frequency harmonics of the clipped waveform can easily damage the tweeter.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Andi.

Default Underpowered amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Andi,

All of your equipment is unfamiliar to me, but when it comes to amplifier power it is always better to have too much power than too little. If the amplifier is underpowered for the speaker there is a risk it will 'clip', and the high frequency harmonics of the clipped waveform can easily damage the tweeter.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    So running the NEC amp with 4x80w channels into 2x100w Skytronics and 2x150wrms/300wpeak is not a good idea... I guess it's back to eBay to get something with more beef, and keep the "rather nice" NEC amp for home use. It is powerful, never goes beyond 2 out of 10 in the house apart from the 10 second test when I got to 8/10 and scared the cat to the other end of the street, ha ha.

I need to get a suitable combination within a month for a room that takes 250. What total wattage would you recommend?

Tastes ? I have 400 7" singles that I take out, 25% Northern Soul, 50% Groove/70s Disco/Funk, and 25% Reggea/Ska, plus loads of random stuff picked up over the years that sits gathering dust.

250 bodies will absorb a lot of sound, but it also depends on the size of the room and how loud you want the level to be.
    Barry

Can you let me know the model number of your Skytronic speakers? There are several models - I need to know the sensitivity of your speakers to be able to help you with your query.
    Barry

I'm Andi.

Barry
    Skytronics are labeled
    100.051, power 100w impedance 6ohms

ProSound are labeled
    300 prog 150 rms
    PS10 version II 8ohm

Thanks
    Andi

I'm Andi.

The room capacity is 250, but they are limiting ticket sales to 200 to give people room to dance, it's a typical WMC layout. The crowd we are aiming at likes it loud !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast