+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401 9" tonearm

I'm Drew.

Default Garrard 401 9" tonearm

Hi

I realise most advocate a 12" arm for the 401 but my plinth will only accommodate a 9" one. From various comments it seems the SME 3009- while a classic partner- may not be the best in terms of maximising sonic performance, so my question is, for around the same amount of money, which tonearm in your experience offers the best bang for the buck for musicality and detail retrieval? No cartridge as yet either so suitable suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks very much.

I'm mark.

Send a Roksan Tabriz to J7 for a re-wire, you won't get better for £3-400...

I'm Drew.

Thanks Mark...they seem very hard to come by, will keep a look out

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very happy with the Mission 774 I use with mine.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Very happy with the Mission 774 I use with mine.
    Yes. I've used a 774 with a 401. A very effective combination, extremely musical.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sounds great with my Lenco too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

montesquieu Guest

Depends what sort of cartridge you want to use (high, medium or low compliance), and whether you want a removable headshell. I personally couldn't live without one.

I'm Paul.

I use a modified Rega RB250 and although I have often thought about replacing it it sounds so nice I back away from changing it each time.
    ~Paul~

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Well done on landing a 401 Drew even though you really wanted a 301, I don't think you will be disappointed, I honestly find it difficult to choose between them in terms of SQ.

I have tried the following arms on mine Rega RB 250, a J7 Hotrod RB250, an RB 600, a Hadcock 242, a Michell Techno arm, a Jelco 750 and a J7 Audio Origami PU7. The PU7 is by far and away the nicest sounding using an MC cartridge but for your budget and assuming you want to us MC if you can find a Technoarm then that could be considered. In saying that I have just looked on ebay and there is a new one for sale at almost a grand which sounds a bit pricey for what is basically a moditied RB 250.

Be nice to see some pics when you finally get it up and running.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage