+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating problem with Chord 2Qute dac

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree with Tom - as soon as I saw the word adapter alarm bells started to ring. I've had similar issues myself with digital connections.
    And it works OK with an optical connection.
    Try getting a proper BNC cable for it.

Or if you are naturally concerned with optical cable sound quality - try one of these optical cables - cheap but great sound!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-A...7FiiHFataNOk-w

-- EDIT - if you can get away with 0.5m I have a spare optical cable, as above, I would be happy to send you.
    Jerry beat me to this advice but I agree this is your most likely area of trouble.

I'm Neil.

If the DAC was bought new, then take it back for an exchange sounds faulty to me.
    Regards Neil

I'm gone.

"Digital lock" can be a finicky thing. Sometimes it doesn't take much to disrupt it.
    It could well be the adapters, especially two of them.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepeak View Post
    The dealer had experienced the problem before when the fault was traced to an ethernet cable
    Really?
    How was the fault diagnosed?
    Divining rods?

It sound like a synch lock problem.
    The one and only time I had a DAC that did that it was returned pronto.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Really?
    How was the fault diagnosed?
    Divining rods?

It sound like a synch lock problem.
    The one and only time I had a DAC that did that it was returned pronto.
    Precisely
    Regards Neil

I'm Anthony.

I very much appreciate your contributions and especially the kind offer of an optical cable. I won't make a decision on this immediately if you don't mind as I an still hoping to be able to get the coax sorted but if I have to use the optical connection I'll take you up on your offer.

Just to make things clear - I did return the first dac and was sent a replacement and I have had the same problem with the replacement dac. The original dac works fine at the dealers shop and his home. He has experienced the problem before but can't explain it.

The dealer (Ian at Hi Fi corner) is a most helpful and thoroughly decent chap and is doing what he can for me. He has made it clear that if it can't be sorted he will refund in full. He has also offered to loan me a Qutest to see if that works.
    I'm away for a week so won't be able to try new cables etc. till I return.

Anthony

I'm gone.

If you like, you can PM me your name and address and the optical cable will be waiting for you on your return. I'm not using it, it turned out to be too short for me.
    Postage cost is minimal and you might find it interesting how good a really good optical cable can sound!
    -- make sure that half a metre is long enough, though.

I'm Anthony.

Hi Jerry

Just to say many thanks for the cable. It looks a lot nicer and is of much better quality than the cable I had been using and the plugs fit well. As to the sound that's difficult to say as I have only had a short listen and to come to some judgement about cables, supports and suchlike usually takes protracted listening. But the initial impression is favourable.

I have had a reply from Chord who put the problem down to 'spikes' on the mains. But this must mean that the simple action of switching something on or off is causing a spike. The house was rewired about 12 years ago so I have no idea what the mechanism might be. I suppose I need to get an electrician in.

I did try a cable without adapters but this didn't help and Ian at HiFi Corner has offered to send another cable to try with a particular shielding arrangement so I may try that.

Once again many thanks for the cable Jerry, much appreciated.

I'm gone.

No problem, Anthony - I'm sorry to see that the DAC still isn't behaving itself.

I'm Grant.

Inclined to agree that the adaptor could be the issue.. there are various types and sizes and they look much the same. Maybe see if anyone will make a good cable up
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast