+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating problem with Chord 2Qute dac

I'm Anthony.

Hi Pavel

Funny you should mention this as I sent off for a cheap optical cable to try and - it seems to work fine I have not used it for long enough to be sure but the music isn't interrupted when I turn other equipment on or off. I have not used an optical connection before and, on this cable at least, the plugs poor and don't fit securely.
    From what I understand the coax connection is the better one to use
    Anyway, it seems the coax connection is at fault.
    Anthony

I'm Pavel.

Yes, the coaxial connection is better in terms of jitter.

I think the issue lies with galvanic isolation (or lack thereof) in the DAC, the transport or both.

I'm Anthony.

Yes I don't think it can be the transport as the problem still manifests when the cdp is swapped for a tuner.

montesquieu Guest

You mention an adapter on the coax cable, what do you mean? Is one of the connections BNC?

I'm Anthony.

Yes the connector on the dac is bnc so with one cable which is rca on both ends I use rca to bnc and the other cable (bnc both ends) I use a bnc to rca adapter.

Still no reply to my emails from Chord which is disappointing to say the least. Chords dacs are first class products it's a shame their customer service isn't in the same league.

I'm Martin.

Probably too busy counting the money. I think they are absurdly over-priced myself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gareth.

This is disappointing. I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a new Chord Qutest but the OP’s experience is making me think twice.

I'm Anthony.

Yes Martin I think you are right. Materially they seem over priced - a lot of money for a pretty box; but sound wise?
    The dealer is a very personable chap and very helpful he tried the dac I returned both in his shop and at his home without a problem. He's contacting Chord for me so I wait expectantly.
    I'm also wondering if the adapters might be the problem so I've sent for another cable.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepeak View Post
    Yes Martin I think you are right. Materially they seem over priced - a lot of money for a pretty box; but sound wise?
    The dealer is a very personable chap and very helpful he tried the dac I returned both in his shop and at his home without a problem. He's contacting Chord for me so I wait expectantly.
    I'm also wondering if the adapters might be the problem so I've sent for another cable.
    If it is to your liking and you can afford it then it doesn't really matter.

Don't listen to me, experience has made me highly sceptical as to how expensive digital needs to be to sound very good indeed. A lot of the 'better' or 'worse' opinions are more about personal preferences in the presentation as opposed to actual differences in the quality of the sound. Although the quality can vary too, don't get me wrong.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

I agree with Tom - as soon as I saw the word adapter alarm bells started to ring. I've had similar issues myself with digital connections.
    And it works OK with an optical connection.
    Try getting a proper BNC cable for it.

Or if you are naturally concerned with optical cable sound quality - try one of these optical cables - cheap but great sound!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-A...7FiiHFataNOk-w

-- EDIT - if you can get away with 0.5m I have a spare optical cable, as above, I would be happy to send you.
    Last edited by jandl100; 24-03-2018 at 06:54.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast