+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypassing Caiman Seg Preamp with a Standalone Unit

I'm Paul.

Default Bypassing Caiman Seg Preamp with a Standalone Unit

How much benefit would I gain from bypassing the preamp in my caimain seg and using a standalone preamp.

I'm currently using an anker powered chromecast audio for Spotify and my PC for Flacs into my linear psu powered caiman seg. Caiman seg into my quad 306 and this is driving my upgraded Klipsch KG4.5's very nicely indeed. By upgraded I've renewed all caps on the crossovers and have the Bob Crites titanium diaphagms

What difference if any would I hear from a dedicated preamp? Or I am just doing what we all do with HiFi and trying to over complicate matters?

I'm Geoff.

I would say that you would need to spend as much as you already have on the Caiman SEQ and CCA in order to get a preamp that would not make things worse. I am assuming that you do not need a preamp for additional analogue sources. Keep it simple!

Geoff

I'm Paul.

yes you're right Geoff I don't need additional inputs at this moment.

Trying to convince myself there will be an improvement in sound when in actual fact it could do potentially the reverse.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    yes you're right Geoff I don't need additional inputs at this moment.

Trying to convince myself there will be an improvement in sound when in actual fact it could do potentially the reverse.
    Have you considered the £40 Caiman SEG upgrade which entails cap replacements but requires a 15v power supply?

I plan to get this myself when I can find time to ship my SEG back to SB.

Geoff

I'm Alastair.

Post Passive Pre-amp

I tried using my Caiman SEG as a pre-amp but found a low cost passive pre-amp better, less veiled. But that was not the only reason, I also wanted to switch between inputs from the DAC and my surround sound amp, and drive each of my four monoblocks. Various people on the forum have praised the Tisbury passive pre-amp but I have not tried it. Its about £140 and they have a 14 day return policy if it does not work for you. You'll also need more cables of course...
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Richard.

I have the excellent SEG but use a Schiit saga preamp which I also recommend. It has an (optional) valve-based output, several inputs and a remote!

I'm howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    I tried using my Caiman SEG as a pre-amp but found a low cost passive pre-amp better, less veiled. But that was not the only reason, I also wanted to switch between inputs from the DAC and my surround sound amp, and drive each of my four monoblocks. Various people on the forum have praised the Tisbury passive pre-amp but I have not tried it. Its about £140 and they have a 14 day return policy if it does not work for you. You'll also need more cables of course...
    I have a Mdac pre in to a Croft series 7. I tried a Tisbury and it really did kill the sound for me. It seemed to compress everything slightly and make it not natural. Seemed to alter the attack on instruments. Removed it and back to big organic natural drums. Maybe the Croft is sensitive to pots.

I'm Jerry.

I use a BTE passive pre and a Croft 7 amp. Sounds great to me and I have no urge to use an active. The pre in the SEG is fine but I think the passive is an improvement and I dont have to worry about blowing fuses-the order of power up/power down is critical with the SEg's pre.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Paul.

I wasn't aware of this Geoff but will definately given I already have the 15v linear psu and I can use a soldering iron. Is obtained directly from Stanley's website?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I use a BTE passive pre and a Croft 7 amp. Sounds great to me and I have no urge to use an active. The pre in the SEG is fine but I think the passive is an improvement and I dont have to worry about blowing fuses-the order of power up/power down is critical with the SEg's pre.
    I've priced up a BTE passive with stepped attenuator and silver wiring and it came in at a very reasonable £140 especially with an oak and acrylic finish. How is yours spec'd Jerry?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast