+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bypassing Caiman Seg Preamp with a Standalone Unit

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Have you considered the £40 Caiman SEG upgrade which entails cap replacements but requires a 15v power supply?

I plan to get this myself when I can find time to ship my SEG back to SB.

Geoff

I wasn't aware of this Geoff but will definately consider it given I already have the 15v linear psu and I can use a soldering iron. Are they obtained directly from Stanley's website?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I wasn't aware of this Geoff but will definately consider it given I already have the 15v linear psu and I can use a soldering iron. Are they obtained directly from Stanley's website?
    Yes. Email Stanley and he will give instructions on how to ship the SEG for the upgrade.

I'm Jerry.

I've priced up a BTE passive with stepped attenuator and silver wiring and it came in at a very reasonable £140 especially with an oak and acrylic finish. How is yours spec'd Jerry?
    Hi Paul,
    24 stepped attenuator,variable and fixed output and all silver wiring. Black case and aluminium controls to match the rest of my kit. Go for it!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Gareth.

Just to add my opinion: I’ve used the Tisbury MKI & MKII passives and a BTE Designs passive in the past and the BTE was better by a considerable margin. Regretted selling the BTE to be honest, but flip me, it took Anthony an age to make the damn thing.

EDIT: If I ever needed a passive preamp again, it’d be a BTE, no hesitation.

I'm Bart.

Hi all,

The pre-amp in the newest Caiman SEG is not that good as others say, try Caiman in DAC mode, it was for me WOOW moment ( mind to put volume down on your active speakers/power amp before try it as you could blow it), so I'm using it now in combination with external head amp/pre amp. I believe there is now possibility to upgrade pre amp section of Caiman but you need to talk to Stan about it........

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    Just to add my opinion: I’ve used the Tisbury MKI & MKII passives and a BTE Designs passive in the past and the BTE was better by a considerable margin. Regretted selling the BTE to be honest, but flip me, it took Anthony an age to make the damn thing.

EDIT: If I ever needed a passive preamp again, it’d be a BTE, no hesitation.

Hi Gareth, Was wondering how those compared and also thinking of an LDR passive. Has anyone owned both the BTE and LDR on here?

I'm Jerry.

Hi Gareth, Was wondering how those compared and also thinking of an LDR passive. Has anyone owned both the BTE and LDR on here?
    I tried a basic LDR many moons ago and wasn't that impressed. It was fairly ordinary sounding but probably not well matched (impedance wise) to my amp.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I tried a basic LDR many moons ago and wasn't that impressed. It was fairly ordinary sounding but probably not well matched (impedance wise) to my amp.
    I guess system matching is as crucial with an LDR pre-amp as it is with any other component. I have seen very positive comments about them and would certainly like to try one.

They seem to elicit a similar response from people as TVC and AVC pre-amps. Those who have not implimented one successfully not being impressed and those who have, being very pleased.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12