+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £300 to improve my system

I'm Phil.

Default £300 to improve my system

Hi all,

I have approx £300 available to improve my current set up...

- Thorens TD160 , all stock with the exception of a hardwood plinth, thicker MDF baseboard and replacement RCA cables
    - Nagaoka Stilton MP11 boron cartridge
    - Rega Brio R
    - Rega RS1 speakers
    - Audiolab Q DAC (sources for this are laptop and chromecast audio)

My first thoughts were either a new arm for the turntable, a new cart, new speakers or a record cleaning machine to improve upon the spin clean i currently use.

For the speakers i need standmounts that can be used close to a rear wall.

All suggestions and recommendations welcome!

Phil

I'm Neil.

Sure, replace your Rega RS1s with a pair of Epos ES14.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

Airlink BMU.....It will give everything a lift.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Airlink BMU.....It will give everything a lift.
    ...maybe, maybe not.

I used one for years, a 2.5kVA one, but now I don't use any filtering, regen or balanced mains, just a big Olson mains block.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

I don't think you can really improve on that system with only £300.

Although a proper record cleaning machine is a good idea, better than a spin-clean and a lot less mither
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't think you can really improve on that system with only £300.

Although a proper record cleaning machine is a good idea, better than a spin-clean and a lot less mither
    I guess I could sell the component being replaced to boost the budget somewhat. What do you think would be required to improve on it?

I'm Andy.

I would trade in or sell the TD160 and buy a better deck and arm with the proceeds plus your £300. Something like a Rock, Xerxes, pink, Alphason sonata, even a Mantra paired with a Rega RB250/300 will be a good step up.

I'm Phil.

The Thorens is actually the one thing i dont want to part with as it has sentimental value. I am happy to improve or upgrade it but will definitley be holding on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I would trade in or sell the TD160 and buy a better deck and arm with the proceeds plus your £300. Something like a Rock, Xerxes, pink, Alphason sonata, even a Mantra paired with a Rega RB250/300 will be a good step up.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    The Thorens is actually the one thing i dont want to part with as it has sentimental value. I am happy to improve or upgrade it but will definitley be holding on to it.
    You could buy my little used M-Dac and sell the Q-Dac.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    In that case I'd agree with Macca. I reckon you can get a different presentation by spending £300 but I doubt you'd hear £300 worth of improvement. A better cart will be limited by the arm. A better arm isn't really worth it on the 160. The amp is fine unless you're using more demanding speakers, but changing speakers to something better will only throw a greater light on the source.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast