+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New DAC from Allo is coming soon

I'm Pavel.

Default New DAC from Allo is coming soon

I was going to pull the trigger and buy Allo Boss 1.2, but then one of my friends pointed me to this thread on DIYaudio.com. Apparently, Allo.com are working on a new DAC using the ESS Sabre 9038q2m chip and fully discrete output stage. It is expected to be available in 2 months, and the price will be “under $250” (so probably about 250€ for us Europeans).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...28q2m-rpi.html (Start reading from the end of the thread)

I'm ahto.

grateful for the heads up, I was pondering a similar move

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I was going to pull the trigger and buy Allo Boss 1.2, but then one of my friends pointed me to this thread on DIYaudio.com. Apparently, Allo.com are working on a new DAC using the ESS Sabre 9038q2m chip and fully discrete output stage. It is expected to be available in 2 months, and the price will be “under $250” (so probably about 250€ for us Europeans).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...28q2m-rpi.html (Start reading from the end of the thread)
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Pavel.

I expect the new DAC to be significantly better than the Boss, by all accounts Allo did a fantastic job with the latter but PCM51xx family was not really designed for audiophile applications. ESS9038 is a much better chip.

I'm allo.

you beat me to the punch!
    will keep you updated on progress.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLO.com View Post
    you beat me to the punch!
    will keep you updated on progress.
    The thread on diyaudio has disappeared. Do you know why?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by tkr001 View Post
    The thread on diyaudio has disappeared. Do you know why?
    It appears to have been merged with another thread: "New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs".

I'm Josie.

I can't wait for this... The Boss DAC is fab so I can't wait to review this one.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm allo.

its going to be a hot summer.

I'm Luke.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    I expect the new DAC to be significantly better than the Boss, by all accounts Allo did a fantastic job with the latter but PCM51xx family was not really designed for audiophile applications. ESS9038 is a much better chip.
    I have the original Boss and follow Allo developments quite closely as I believe they are putting out very good products. Am very interested in their Volt+D amp and upcoming 5v smps.

Were cost no option I would be first in line for this new Sabre DAC, but to play devils advocate for a second, I was under the impression that several top DAC designers are of the opinion that the chip has very little bearing on the sound as compared to the implementation.

So, realistically, how much improvement could we expect from this 9038q2m version over PCM51xx ones? Will only true audiophiles notice much difference?

I'm allo.

hey guys,
    well the wait is over!
    Mass production of the KATANA has started!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 08-06-2018 at 12:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast