+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Note AN-E and Tannoy Canterbury GR (battle)

I'm James.

Rait, I hope they deliver what you want, they most certainly do for me! Don't be afraid to try different amps and experiment. I have a kit SIT amp running at the moment and it's quite fantastic with them, I mean seriously, seriously good, modestly priced, even I am not worried about the lack of valves in my system...

Ignore the hype around AN, PQ is approachable and straightforward, every time I have talked to him he has been informative and generous, and he's not had nor asked for a penny from me so far. Peter Snell delivered some fantastic speakers and the E was maybe his most effective design in terms of simplicity and cost, (since refined by AN). Enjoy the ride and please post pics of the new treasures in place when they arrive

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Rait, I hope they deliver what you want, they most certainly do for me! Don't be afraid to try different amps and experiment. I have a kit SIT amp running at the moment and it's quite fantastic with them, I mean seriously, seriously good, modestly priced, even I am not worried about the lack of valves in my system...

Ignore the hype around AN, PQ is approachable and straightforward, every time I have talked to him he has been informative and generous, and he's not had nor asked for a penny from me so far. Peter Snell delivered some fantastic speakers and the E was maybe his most effective design in terms of simplicity and cost, (since refined by AN). Enjoy the ride and please post pics of the new treasures in place when they arrive

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    I have heard Es with various SET exotica including AN Jinro, but the best (least bloomy, most refined) pair I heard used a 40w diy gainclone with vastly over-specced power supply.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I have heard Es with various SET exotica including AN Jinro, but the best (least bloomy, most refined) pair I heard used a 40w diy gainclone with vastly over-specced power supply.
    Interesting. I heard a Gainclone copy driving some. Not good in any way.

Bad copy maybe

I'm Martin.

I quite like the sound of the Audionote electronics but the speakers are a bridge too far for me. Also the presentation as a whole suits certain types of music and not others (although AN is better than some other brands in that respect). Given that I need a system that will be as happy playing Thin Lizzy as it will Bill Evans it's never been on my radar.

And it's too expensive for what it is (although that's true of most brands these days).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gordan.

there is a clear reason for vast variations in bass performance from tannoy speakers. it's a condition of bass driver, especially surrounds. any change from the original condition induce Fs to drift, most often to rise. a friend had a 3838 based cab, he couldn't get under a 60hz bass. after he found out that the surrounds hardened, he tackled that and got back to the original 35hz or so. it was such a difference!

pretty much same for the new drivers, they need some to to get to optimal performance. given the fashion about tannoys, lots of people buy without having a clue how they should perform so they listen faulty ones and never actually hear what they can do (if they can be anyway restored to original performance at all).

i seriously doubt that AN/E can go 27hz flat and 20hz -7, this can not be a performance from the driver itself.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post

i seriously doubt that AN/E can go 27hz flat and 20hz -7, this can not be a performance from the driver itself.
    Agree on the Tannoys - the vintage ones can sound reasonable even in so-so condition, but so often need attention - surrounds, crossovers, wiring ..

As for the E's I think the low bass measurement is due to the sing-along cabinet. That's why it typically sounds a bit phasey and hard to place.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    given the fashion about tannoys, lots of people buy without having a clue how they should perform so they listen faulty ones and never actually hear what they can do (if they can be anyway restored to original performance at all)
    That is so true!

Not only that, there are so many models and I'm just referring to the dual concentrics. Not all of these are worth considering. That doesn't seem to stop the escalating prices though. Many of the early tulip waveguide speakers were of indifferent performance and a few genuinely dire (DC200 or DC100 anybody?).

Some of the pepperpot types should be avoided, unless the buyer is willing to invest a lot of money. The drivers in the professional cabinets like the 'Wildcats' for instance have potential, but will usually require completely new crossovers, bigger cabinets and more compliant cone surrounds. A big spend.

I'm Dennis.

A post of mine seems to have disappeared.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, and the reason for that has been attached to the deletion, which if you scroll back you'll see [the post that should've followed #30]

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Best Tannoy I have ever heard is the Kingdom Royale Carbon Edition with Thrax amps and MSB DAC.

I can't stand Westminsters.

Second best Tannoy I have ever heard, and I have heard a few, are Tom's.

I have heard AN/Es loads of times over the years. Variable to say the least - from dreadful to coloured but coloured in a pleasant way.

Biggest shock I have ever had with AN/Es was attaching my 80 Watt push pull 211 amps to a pair. I have heard them with a lot of different AN amps up to Tomei level and the only amp to get close was the Tomei, but even that couldn't muster as much authority and control though it does sound similar in many, many ways to my 211s and I am sure in some respects the Tomei is superior. One is single ended (Tomei), the other push pull but it can actually dump way more than 80 Watts - double that + for short periods.

So Es with juice come alive and perform way above yer average pussy power AN amp. Really. I wasn't shocked without reason.

I'd take Tom's Tannoy's over any E I have heard but you need to be careful. Cos I haven't heard another Tannoy sound as good as Tom's anywhere, above exception noted. Which I have to say was well above Tom's system but just look at the price.
    i have a thrax amp here at the moment , it is quite simply stunning !!! i even had it on a pair of cheap b&w 602s3 standmounts and it made them sound much more expensive than they were . massive great amp with lots of valves and be sad to see it go back to dealer
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast