+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Note AN-E and Tannoy Canterbury GR (battle)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Adrian.

Have Audio Notes and Tannoy Kensington SE. Differences....

AN - easier to match to amps. A slightly more musical presentation (read as coloured). Beautiful with SET amps but not the low powered often cited. In my opinion the ANe's need a little power to hit their sweet spot. Easy to position.

Tannoys - different story. Need an amp that can control and take advantage of their substantial and far more resolving bass. Push pull valve or smooth solid state. In a different league Resolution wise - the AN tweeter just cannot compete. BUT positioning is crucial - sit with your ears in the wrong position and they can sound overly bright and pushy. Get it right and the soundstage is open and more focused than the AN can manage. It's not an easy path to go - I'm still getting there.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Gary.

Interesting comparison, Adrian.
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounds like you prefer your AN-Es, but you actually want to prefer the Tannoys
    Have you succeeded in getting them fixed yet, by the way?
    IB

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Interesting comparison, Adrian.
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounds like you prefer your AN-Es, but you actually want to prefer the Tannoys
    Have you succeeded in getting them fixed yet, by the way?
    IB
    Hahahahha not quite that simple. I prefer the Tannoys without hesitation but they are like a demanding mistress compared to the lazy wife Ane's.

It's a mix of trade offs. For example the ANe's do piano better (truthfully) than the Tannoys - but the Tannoys do 'float in the air' vocals way better (truthfully) than the ANe's. If I have one gripe about the Tannoys it's the compression driver - which requires very careful positioning for my ears.

They are working fine by the way though I will send them to Paul for a check up. The Tannoys have forced a complete changeover of amplification and my funds are waiting for the right preamp to come along.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Rait.

Thank you Adrian. I do not know what type of music you are listening, but what would you prefer AN or Tannoy for classic music and what for jazz. When I auditioned AN I also liked piano on theses very much, compared my Harbeth 30 what I have. And as you told you not need to be in exact position with AN, meter here and there did not changed sound.

+ Reply to Thread