+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Note AN-E and Tannoy Canterbury GR (battle)

I'm Rait.

Default Audio Note AN-E and Tannoy Canterbury GR (battle)

I have questions to forum members who had (have) both of these speakers or listened both some time. I am looking for new speakers and have narrowed selection to Audio Note AN-E and Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers. Audio Note AN-E Spe HE I have listened for on hour in my room and liked. I never hear Tannoy Canterbury and it is not possible, otherwise I find some dealer abroad and take plane trip to audition. It seems strange to want speaker that never heard, but specs, look and some reviews pull me to Canterbury also. How do you compare theses? Soundstage of Audio Note AN-E is huge and feel of present is very good, also bass is good. How about Canterbury compared to Audio Note? Please let me know what difference you feel.Thank you very much advance.*

I'm Adrian.

Have Audio Notes and Tannoy Kensington SE. Differences....

AN - easier to match to amps. A slightly more musical presentation (read as coloured). Beautiful with SET amps but not the low powered often cited. In my opinion the ANe's need a little power to hit their sweet spot. Easy to position.

Tannoys - different story. Need an amp that can control and take advantage of their substantial and far more resolving bass. Push pull valve or smooth solid state. In a different league Resolution wise - the AN tweeter just cannot compete. BUT positioning is crucial - sit with your ears in the wrong position and they can sound overly bright and pushy. Get it right and the soundstage is open and more focused than the AN can manage. It's not an easy path to go - I'm still getting there.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Gary.

Interesting comparison, Adrian.
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounds like you prefer your AN-Es, but you actually want to prefer the Tannoys
    Have you succeeded in getting them fixed yet, by the way?
    IB

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Interesting comparison, Adrian.
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but it sounds like you prefer your AN-Es, but you actually want to prefer the Tannoys
    Have you succeeded in getting them fixed yet, by the way?
    IB
    Hahahahha not quite that simple. I prefer the Tannoys without hesitation but they are like a demanding mistress compared to the lazy wife Ane's.

It's a mix of trade offs. For example the ANe's do piano better (truthfully) than the Tannoys - but the Tannoys do 'float in the air' vocals way better (truthfully) than the ANe's. If I have one gripe about the Tannoys it's the compression driver - which requires very careful positioning for my ears.

They are working fine by the way though I will send them to Paul for a check up. The Tannoys have forced a complete changeover of amplification and my funds are waiting for the right preamp to come along.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Rait.

Thank you Adrian. I do not know what type of music you are listening, but what would you prefer AN or Tannoy for classic music and what for jazz. When I auditioned AN I also liked piano on theses very much, compared my Harbeth 30 what I have. And as you told you not need to be in exact position with AN, meter here and there did not changed sound.

montesquieu Guest

AN Es/HEs - For me the biggest issue is the pseudo low bass you get from the lightweight flexible cabinet design (it's designed to resonate). Can work in some rooms but but rear ports make placing difficult in many rooms. The recommended corner placement can be very hard to achieve and in any case often ends up sounding muddy. I've had four pairs on home demo of ever increasing expense (and weight - due to the amount of silver involved) up to about £12k retail, and the ever more expensive single ended amps to drive them, and personally I think a better result can be had at a fraction of the price from Tannoys - almost any of the Tannoy dual concentrics - and a decent push-pull valve amp. Don't get me wrong I have heard them sound good (and musical) but in my view there are too many caveats to recommend going down that route. As Adey says even the pricey ones can be coloured.

Tannoys - Not necessarily a straightforward purchase either as the best of them need big cabinets with a a fairly wide baffle to sound their best (though even something like a 10in Eaton with the right valve amp can still sound fab). On balance I prefer the vintage ones but that's not a straightforward area to get into and value for money is not what it was as prices have gone up in some cases (Monitor Silvers and Reds especially) into collector territory that can't be justified by the actual sound. Push pull amps give the best result, 20w is fine for a Monitor Gold but you need 40w+ for later HPDs and the like. The dual concentric design is a point source which helps with imaging and also phase correct due to the wavelength relationships between the concentric drivers - that 'rightness' is what a lot of people like about them. It's possible to get them wrong though, some aftermarket/DIY pattern cabinets (the cheaper vintage factory cabs too) can be too flexible or under-damped, leading to the same sing-along issues you get with E's only it's not actually part of the design. In general though, much easier to place, partner, and live with for all types of music.

Conclusion - I think E's are harder to get the best out of as their design compromises (all speakers have compromises) are more apparent. It's not impossible to get them sounding good though and they do make some kind of sense in an all Audio Note system. Tannoys are easier to integrate in most 'normal' setups and I prefer the cleaner bass and more 'direct' sound, while with decent cabinets (including modern factory cabinets) you don't get the strange phasey room effects you get from AN-Es in the lower registers. It pays to spend money on improving the crossovers as the factory ones tend to be cheaply done, even (or perhaps, especially) current/recent models.

YMMV.

I'm Phil.

been discussing the an-e at length recently and discussed with a number of owners

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/t...2#post-3344401

i have actually ordered a tannoy eaton legacy which is so good, such a big sound from the tannoy . so detailed at low volumes

but in the room i was thinking of the an-e or j , the harbeths shl5plus are currently excelling
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

montesquieu Guest

Just to add specifically on the original question, E's vs Canterburys I think the Canterburys are a absolute no-brainer.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Just to add specifically on the original question, E's vs Canterburys I think the Canterburys are a absolute no-brainer.
    Agreed Tom but the original poster needs to know they may have to do some system changes to get the best out of them.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Rait.

Thank you Tom. I see from your list that you have Canterburys. Do you think EAR 861 (2x32w) is ok for Canterburys?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast