+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Audion Sterling Plus Single Ended power amplifier with volume control

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Audion Sterling Plus Single Ended power amplifier with volume control

I bought this amp on impulse recently for use in the study, to replace the Class D amp I bought from Duncan last year, but while it’s absolutely glorious, the tubes are quite tall and it generates too much heat in the enclosed position where I have it. Alarmed by the smell of melting melamine from the shelf above it, I fear I’m sadly going to have to move it on!

It’s an Audion Sterling Plus single ended power amplifier, with a volume control on the front so that it can be used with a single source (though really it’s for matching sensitivity allowing use of all sorts of preamp from passive to gain monster). The original listing is here and it has been recently serviced by Anthony Matthews of Tube Distinctions which makes it a real bargain. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-SET-amplifier

The power valve is a beam pentode, KT88 family - 6550, KT88, KT90 and KT120 are all approved in terms of heater current), each member of the family providing different power outputs between about 16 watts per channel for the 6550 up to about 20 or a shade over for the KT120s. It arrived with 6550s which are reputedly the sweetest of the valves it can use, though I dug out very rare pair of NOS 1980s Svetlana KT88s (identical in every detail bar the printing to the valve that was later branded as the legendary Svetlana Winged C KT88) and this made the sound bigger and more robust. I’ll also throw in the spare (and very nice) signal valves that it came with from Martin (GE, Brimar, Amperex).

I like single ended pentodes a lot because compared to your typical single ended triode you can get more power out of them without doubling them up, or going to the expense (in tubes, transformers and electricity!) of the big DHTs like 211s or 845s - yet with the right speakers you still get all the benefits of single ended operation. They are just more practical when it comes to running speakers of more ’normal’ sensitivity, rather than something capable of running with the 3w of a 2A3 or 9w of a 300b. But then again I’m also a massive fan of the KT88 family and the KT88 itself in particular, so I just like the sound they make especially in single ended mode. It’s a real shame I can’t accommodate it.

I’ve owned Audion gear in the past and this is as nicely made as any of them. Audion are very much around and still in business/available for servicing all their kit.

Not sure it’s visible in the pic but the silver-plated case finish could do with a shine up, I haven’t done this but I’m assured it comes right up with Silvo or some such silver polish. Otherwise in lovely order.

I’m looking for £550 plus shipping or for £600 plus shipping I’ll include the Svetlana KT88s (very very rare - I’ve waited 5 years for a matching NOS pair to come up to make a quad! - this amp is their first outing from being bought from Gerry at Crowthorne Tube). Or swap for a Phillips CDM-1 (original not MkII) equipped CDP or transport (Marantz CD94, CD12, CD95, Phillips 960) with value adjustment as required.

Pic borrowed from James's listing, I'll take some of my own in daylight tomorrow.

Last edited by montesquieu; 18-03-2018 at 23:34.

montesquieu Guest

I gave it a very quick polish, 5 mins brought it up very nicely.

Pictured with the Svetlana KT88s

montesquieu Guest

Now sold

+ Reply to Thread