+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s time for North West Audio Show 2018

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I used to own them speakers in active form in a former life - OH WAILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Oh 'ang on a minute - these are 150's - oh triple waily!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, they were 150s, Dave. I'm not always a fan, but fronted with the excellent Studer reel-to-reel, playing some stunning recordings, and how he'd set up the whole room, it was as close to 'being there' a live performance that I've heard from a hi-fi system!

Next up some sexy SP10 action:

Up close. you could see that the engineering quality was truly excellent!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I really enjoyed the show, I would agree it's the best commercial show, certainly that I've attended recently.

Had a great laugh and chat with Peter Qvortrup, some great stories.
    Yes me too. Spent nearly an hour talking to him, what a character.

Agree it is a bloody great show. Absolutely love it.

Those there today make sure you check out MCRU's half price vinyl.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just as a small taster, without question, this was one of the best sounds of the show, found in Mike Valentine's music lecture room (with Chasing the Dragon audiophile recordings), which sadly I didn't have time to attend. However, that gorgeous reel-to-reel machine and big ATCs were making some lovely music:
    Marco.
    So sorry I missed that One never read instruction manuals or Programs …

That is home for me I seen the Live show a few times the last one about 6 7 years ago IMO san Vidal is far to big a venue and at that time the cembalo is very much lost (consider that it is a 500 year old instrument) and would have liked to ask how they recorded it

Some T/T and bearing pron, plus record-cleaning action:

Townshend Seismic Speaker bars:

Mains socket madness:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    So sorry I missed that One never read instruction manuals or Programs …

That is home for me I seen the Live show a few times the last one about 6 7 years ago IMO san Vidal is far to big a venue and at that time the cembalo is very much lost (consider that it is a 500 year old instrument) and would have liked to ask how they recorded it
    The talk was very interesting. Well worth checking out if you get another chance. I meant to buy the latest Chasing the Dragon CD but I forgot to go back to the room. Agree with Marco about the system too, absolutely wonderful.

I was also impressed by the Danish Buchardt speakers in room 3.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NuNu Distribution were demonstrating TAD, along with a very effective and cost-effective high-end streamer:

As ever, Tony was a friendly and amenable host, playing a variety great music, some of which was even through Spotify that sounded more than acceptable. Through the streamer, the sound was excellent, and about the first time I've heard sound produced by TAD speakers that I could've lived with.

It was open, dymamic, engaging and effortlessly musical, and the standmounts on demo produced surprisingly well-controlled and extended bass, with a clean and crisp top-end that was never fatiguing. I can imagine these speakers sounding quite stunning (and rather intimate) in their intended environment, which would be a much smaller room than they were used in here.

£13k, though...

Ok, more pics after the footy!!

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Do I miss all this Top End bling/slurp/involvement?

Head tells me no and don't be silly reminiscing, but my heart..... Glad you had a good time chaps and more please from today
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ben.

Had a wander round for an hour or 2 earlier and thought the whole thing was really good, lovely enthusiastic atmosphere, lots of great sounding rooms. The highlights for me were the kralk room (which unfortunately I didn't take photos of) and the few rooms below I did photo

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Few more

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,