+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s time for North West Audio Show 2018

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can't remember who's room this was, but here's a pic anyway. I do remember that the sound was ok, but nothing spectacular:

Ok, but not especially impressive sound in this room:

And now, as previously mentioned, the Sound Kaos room:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the larger of the two speaker models, but the tiny little ones were amazing for their size, oh so musical, sweet sounding, but natural, not lacking in bass weight for their size, and were very well-made. The whole system produced a most captivating sound, which I enjoyed listening to very much. Definitely a brand to look out for!

Marco.
    The top pic is from the CAD room Marco, with Living Voice speakers.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
    Amplification: Exposure 2010S2 and Firebottle Phono Plus
    Sources: Project Xpression III, Ortofon 2M Blue; Audiolab 8200CD; Squeezebox Touch
    Speakers: Audio Note AZ2
    Cables: Mogami for speakers and interconnects.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks, Martin, although I on't recall it being especially memorable.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fabulous.

Had a nice day out today at the show... I was a bit saddened that few rooms actually put up on display what they were playing.
    At previous shows I've discovered some really nice music by being able to take notes. I did see a chap using an app on his mobile to try and find out what was playing (it was some nice jazz) and his phone kept telling him it was Nicki Minaj --- I found that particularly amusing.
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

Now, Kralk Audio:

For me, probably the best sound of the show (depending on the music being played), based on delivering the highest SPPV. The speakers on demo simply had no right to sound that good, considering their modest cost!

I spoke to the chap who made them (built them in his garage) and told him that they were too cheap! He could easily add a grand onto the price, and they'd still be competitive.

Don't get me wrong though, whilst excellent, they don't set any new standards for sound reproduction. Aspects of their presentation did lack a little subtlety, namely at the top-end, where with some material the tweeters used could be a little insistent' and slightly nasal sounding, but then when the retail price is £1300, not £13,000, you can't afford to buy the absolute best quality drive units. What's there though, does the job nicely.

These speakers are clearly about the SUM of the parts, not about the 'greatness', or otherwise, of any boutique components, and have been voiced, first and foremost (I suspect mostly by ear), by someone who loves music. At the end of the day, it's a music lover's speaker, not a tool for analysing test tones or wallowing in superficial 'hi-fi effects'.

In that respect, the Kralks never failed to sound nicely open and communicative, especially when reproducing acoustic instruments, such as sax and piano. Vocals were also rendered convincingly and with natural clarity, although perhaps the midrange lacked the beguiling 'hear-through' quality and forensic levels of insight one gets with the very best loudspeakers, equipped of course with eye-watering expensive drive units!

Low-frequencies were tight, tuneful and nicely extended, and as such, bass-driven/rhythmic music bopped along with an infectious elan, producing that all-important 'fun factor', which promotes extended listening sessions, and if one is so inclined, boogying around the room!

The Kralks may not be your first choice as a truly neutral monitor, or for in-depth analysis into the minutiae of musical mixes, but for anyone with a budget of around £1500, who wants a decent sized stand-mounted speaker, beautifully built and finished too I may add, and likes their favourite tunes to put a smile on their face, with a design that possess no small measure of musical ability, then the Kralks are the 'fun listen' you've been looking for!

For the money, I really can't recommend them highly enough. My advice? If you're in the market for speakers like this, then grab them NOW before the manufacturer realises he's giving them away, and the price goes up accordingly!!

I would be very happy to see these fantastic speakers promoted and sold on AoS: Details here: http://kralkaudio.com/

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Walking down one of the corridors, I became aware some very loud, beat-laden music. Then I got to the door, which should have had a sign saying "Bangin' Choons" printed on it. So I had to have a look...

The music was so ravey I half expected to see a bouncer at the door, searching everyone before allowing them in. The loudspeakers were called Dutch+Dutch 8c and very impressive they were too. Much of the slam I've heard at clubs and gigs seemed to be there, with a powerful and tuneful bass which my feet were itching to follow. I never got to hear how they would behave with something a bit more subtle though.

If they're going to be there again next year, I'll bring some glow sticks and really 'ave it large.

My vote for my favourite sound (fwiw) had to be that room with the big ATC's though. I think I could live with that. Mrs. P wasn't too keen on those speakers though. "They used to have ones like that at my mum's Labour Club" was her opinion. Although she did prefer them to the Audio Note ones we saw in another room - she thought they looked like SpongeBob SquarePants.

One more thing I'd like to mention was meeting Alan (Firebottle) in the bar. His pants were exactly as advertised. I can't think of anything in the natural world, or man-made, where those keks would blend in. Alan, I applaud you for having the bottle (forgive the pun). And what a pleasant and personable man he is! (And he looks younger than me, bastard!) Anyway, he accepted my mindless drivel with good grace, and never once tried to escape. I admit I was a little star-struck, and in my excitement forgot to request a selfie with him.

I'll stop writing now to make way for people who know about hifi, as I know these posts are a bit shit without pictures.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

I believe the price of the Kralk includes the stands and shipping. There's a discount if you go and collect them. A crazy bargain, if they are the sort of thing your looking for.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I believe the price of the Kralk includes the stands and shipping. There's a discount if you go and collect them. A crazy bargain, if they are the sort of thing your looking for.
    The big Kralks strike me as a sort of modern equivalent to the old Wharfedale Dovedale III. Simliar driver configuration and they always delivered a lot for the money. Taking inflation into account, probably comparable price wise too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Walking down one of the corridors, I became aware some very loud, beat-laden music. Then I got to the door, which should have had a sign saying "Bangin' Choons" printed on it. So I had to have a look...

The music was so ravey I half expected to see a bouncer at the door, searching everyone before allowing them in. The loudspeakers were called Dutch+Dutch 8c and very impressive they were too.
    Interesting... Can't recall those at all. Can you remember which room they were in, from the show guide, or perhaps link to their website, so I can see what you're talking about?

Told you Alan's keks were epic... You never got to see what was underneath them though (tickets only session, after hours, where rusty tweezers and gimp masks were handed out, and we all barked like dogs)

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Brian.

Nice pictures and reviews of the various systems . Thanks for posting gents
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Yer welcome, Brian

Perhaps someone could remind me of who's room this was:

I do remember it produced a nicely boppy little sound

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast