+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! The V in my A/V has gone AWOL!

I'm Steve.

Default Help! The V in my A/V has gone AWOL!

Grant, apologies if I've put this in the wrong place.

While poking around behind my hifi and A/V cabinet, connecting a DAC to my CD player, I seem to have upset something.

The picture coming form the Sky HD box isn't making it to the TV, but the sound is getting to the speakers as normal. I should mention it goes to a Sony AV receiver, via an optical cable. When I look at the end of the cable, the end that goes into the amp, there's a red light, so something is coming through.

Eventually, as I was desperate to get to the pub, I ran a HDMI lead from the Sky box to the amp, to get it running. But I'm not sure if I have a problem with the optical cable, the Sky box or the amp (all about 7 years old now).

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Sony receivers have a hard reset option.

So unless you've got particular settings you need to keep I would try this...

Turn off the receiver.

Hold down (on/standby) on the receiver for 5 seconds. [CLEARING] appears on the display panel for a while, then changes to [CLEARED *]

It is now reset.

One other thing, be wary of plugging and unplugging HDMI cables when receiver is switched on as this sometimes prevents them working. If you tried to plug it in when switched on it might not 'handshake' as they call it. It doesn't do any harm it just won't work until you unplug the hdmi switch off receiver then plug it back in and switch on again.

I'm Gary.

Did the HDMI cable make everything work ok?

I'm Mike.

I've just reread the OP and just to let you know the optical cable is for audio only, you sure you just haven't pulled out an hdmi lead by mistake?

That's the only way the picture would fail to reach the TV.

I'm Steve.

Hi Gary,

Yes, everything seems to be working fine with the HDMI lead in place.

Thanks Mike, that has taught me more than my brain can normally handle in one sitting. I did not realise that about the optical being audio only. I therefore may have inadvertently unplugged a HDMI from the Sky box. There's so much spaghetti back there, it's hard to tell. The set-up has 'evolved' over time by me sticking wires into holes until something worked, as I'm not very good with user manuals.

Anyway, everything seems to be working fine at the moment, so maybe I accidentally fixed it already.

Thank you guys.
    Ste

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Mike.

Good stuff

I'm Gary.

It's amazing the way cables behind equipment seem to be able to knit a sweater

I'm Steve.

I don't know why, all I have back there is:

Sky box
    Amazon Echo Dot
    Blu Ray player
    A/V amp
    TV
    5 surround speakers
    2 subs
    Turntable
    Phono stage
    CD player
    DAC
    Stereo amp
    Stereo speakers
    Sky broadband
    Table lamp
    Printer

Honestly, I'm dreading the day we need a new carpet.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread