+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Dave.

I'm confused and £250 for an OM20 ??? I have a couple of 520 here that Alex could have had for £25.

The RB300 is more than capable of handling the DL103 but some extra mass is necessary at the headshell to improve tracking and bass.

The OM20 and the turntable should be returned to the dealer who set it up for checking and rectifying.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that in another thread one of the guys pointed out that the RB300 was not the correct length for your deck to begin with? I.e. too short or long? Is this true? Could this be where the root of your problems lie with this cartridge? If I'm imagining this, then apologies...

Edit: found it... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...319#post956319 See Post #54 by Steve (Arrow)
    Did this ever get figured out...?
    You're right Svend, but the issue is not regarding the tonearm length, but its weight. DL-103 requires heavier tonearm, which is why Marco (and others) recommended abandoning RB300 and upgrading to Jelco. I'm now following their advice
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    You're right Svend, but the issue is not regarding the tonearm length, but its weight. DL-103 requires heavier tonearm, which is why Marco (and others) recommended abandoning RB300 and upgrading to Jelco. I'm now following their advice
    Fair enough, but do you know if the Systemdek was modified to take the longer RB300 when it was installed? If not, then all these troubles are probably related to that. Further to that thought, if you're installing a Jelco, you'll have to make sure that it's mount point is correct for it's geometry.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Good suggestion, thank you, but I don't want to spend any more money on it.
    Send it to me, I'll pay postage

I'm Dave.

It's a pity that Alex isn't closer, because I could sort it out in ten minutes and it wouldn't cost..

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'm confused and £250 for an OM20 ??? I have a couple of 520 here that Alex could have had for £25.

The RB300 is more than capable of handling the DL103 but some extra mass is necessary at the headshell to improve tracking and bass.

The OM20 and the turntable should be returned to the dealer who set it up for checking and rectifying.
    no its canadian dollars dave
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alex.

It's a pity that Alex isn't closer, because I could sort it out in ten minutes and it wouldn't cost..
    Dang Dave, I wish we were neighbours You can certainly imagine how exasperated I am having to deal with this unpredictable intermittent glitching...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

I've tried adding extra mass, per Svend's recommendation, and it did improve the sound, but the issues with the sound hardening in the upper register during crescendos still remained. Now that issue is completely gone with OM20.

Alex.

montesquieu Guest

+1. The elephant in the room. Before anything else is done and before a penny is spent.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    +1. The elephant in the room. Before anything else is done and before a penny is spent.
    Agreed, Tom...there are a few things here that aren't adding up...questions going unanswered. Tonearm length being just one of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast