+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    If it's now happening at the end I would hazard a guess that the cartridge has not been aligned correctly, do you have access to an alignment protractor?

What you have now is IGD (inner groove distortion). Can be caused by above.

I believe your tonearm is not the issue, i.e. The RB 300 is good enough.

Only my opinions though
    Alex, you can download and print your own alignment protractor here: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...tractors.shtml
    Scroll down to find the ones for Rega arms. I have used the Rega Baerwald for the RB300 with good success. You will need to register an account with Vinyl Engine in order to download. If you don't want to bother with that then send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the file to you.

And I would agree with the above, that the arm is not the issue - this is the same arm that worked well with the DL-103, no? No reason why it shouldn't be fine with this cartridge.

Cheers,
    Svend

PS -- I just checked the compliance spec for the OM20, and it's rather high at 30...you're not using any sort of headshell weight any more, are you? Also, have you done a visual check of anti-skate on an LP with a wide runout groove. How does it behave?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex, you can download and print your own alignment protractor here: https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...tractors.shtml
    Scroll down to find the ones for Rega arms. I have used the Rega Baerwald for the RB300 with good success. You will need to register an account with Vinyl Engine in order to download. If you don't want to bother with that then send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the file to you.

And I would agree with the above, that the arm is not the issue - this is the same arm that worked well with the DL-103, no? No reason why it shouldn't be fine with this cartridge.

Cheers,
    Svend

PS -- I just checked the compliance spec for the OM20, and it's rather high at 30...you're not using any sort of headshell weight any more, are you? Also, have you done a visual check of anti-skate on an LP with a wide runout groove. How does it behave?
    Thanks Svend. I followed your previous advice and downloaded protractor from the vinylengine site, but when I printed it, the scale was incorrect. Which renders it useless, I'd venture to guess.

How does one print that file to scale?

And yes, I'm not using any headshell weight with OM20.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Shaun.

For what it is worth, I use an Ortofon OM40 in an Origin Live Onyx and it tracks superbly. Other than alignment I cannot imagine what your problem could be. My OM40 is tracking at 1.65 grams.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    For what it is worth, I use an Ortofon OM40 in an Origin Live Onyx and it tracks superbly. Other than alignment I cannot imagine what your problem could be. My OM40 is tracking at 1.65 grams.
    Have you compared OM40 to OM20? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

Another note

When aligning the cartridge, you may find that the cartridge is not square in the headshell, the front of the cartridge should be central in the headshell but then you are governed by the alignment protractor.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    For such things, I use an image processing utility. My choice is FastStone Image Viewer, which is a free download and works well. It allows enlargement or reduction of images by small increments (along with a host of other useful facilites).

Available here if interested: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

I'm Shaun.

Have you compared OM40 to OM20? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
    Alex, prior to the OM40 I had an OM30 and it was a very worth while upgrade to my ears and my system. Much more refined with bags more midband detail.

I'm jamie.

Thanks Svend. I followed your previous advice and downloaded protractor from the vinylengine site, but when I printed it, the scale was incorrect. Which renders it useless, I'd venture to guess.

And yes, I'm not using any headshell weight with OM20.
    You go into your printer settings and change it by small amounts until it’s right
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Just something which occurred to me whilst reading the o.p.'s mention of the snag now happening on the inner grooves since lowering the VTF. Why? I suggest because the cart. body is now clearing the record, but not enough for the inner grooves.

A throwaway thought, but visually check the clearance of the body at different points on the record. Bit bloody obvious, so apologies for grandma sucking eggs, as they say.

I'm Gary.

Obvious is always good, we've all probably missed the obvious, but wouldn't lowering the VTF make the cartridge run higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Just something which occurred to me whilst reading the o.p.'s mention of the snag now happening on the inner grooves since lowering the VTF. Why? I suggest because the cart. body is now clearing the record, but not enough for the inner grooves.

A throwaway thought, but visually check the clearance of the body at different points on the record. Bit bloody obvious, so apologies for grandma sucking eggs, as they say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast