+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Andy.

Id worry about any dealer that recommended an OM20 as an "upgrade" from a DL103.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Agreed, Tom...there are a few things here that aren't adding up...questions going unanswered. Tonearm length being just one of them.
    Yes that could certainly cause the issues raised. Incorrect spindle to pivot is a recipe for all sorts of woes.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Yes that could certainly cause the issues raised. Incorrect spindle to pivot is a recipe for all sorts of woes.
    In that case, how come I didn't experience any problems with the exact same configuration running DL-103?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

+1. The elephant in the room. Before anything else is done and before a penny is spent.
    One thing I'd like to add is that I live in Vancouver, Canada. End of the world, as it's known to human beings. Meaning, beggars can't be choosers and I have access to only a select few dealers here. And they're overbooked as it is, due to the sudden phenomenal surge in vinyl popularity.

So it's not like I can just walk across the street and get another dealer to look into my issues on the spot. I have very little, or no choice. I literally live at the edge of the world.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    In that case, how come I didn't experience any problems with the exact same configuration running DL-103?
    It could have been set up in the headshell to compensate, or largely compensate, for any error in location of the arm pivot. Can you recall (or by looking at pics) confirm whether the stylus tip (which is the crucial marker) falls in the same place relative to the headshell of the arm?

I'm Svend.

It could have been set up in the headshell to compensate, or largely compensate, for any error in location of the arm pivot. Can you recall (or by looking at pics) confirm whether the stylus tip (which is the crucial marker) falls in the same place relative to the headshell of the arm?
    That, and it would have had a heavier tracking weight, stiffer cantilever, etc., >50% more cart. mass (+3.5g, to be exact)...all of which would help it stay in the groove better than the OM20.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    That, and it would have had a heavier tracking weight, stiffer cantilever, etc., >50% more cart. mass (+3.5g, to be exact)...all of which would help it stay in the groove better than the OM20.
    Makes sense. What DOES NOT make sense (at least to me) is why is this new setting not acting consistently? Why is it causing hiccups at some time, and then later on stops causing those hiccups, only for the hiccups to emerge again at a later time. That defies my Sherlock Holmes capabilities

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Id worry about any dealer that recommended an OM20 as an "upgrade" from a DL103.
    Why? The dealer was catering to my needs. I came to him complaining how I'm not satisfied with the current configuration. I told him that I am looking to upgrade to Dynavector or Rega Ania or even Koetsu Black. I told him that I'd be willing to stretch my budget up to $1,800.00, if push comes to shove.

He advised me to take a deep breath and to first explain to him what is it that I currently dislike in the sound I'm getting. After explaining my issues, he asked me if there is anything I still like in the sound I'm getting. After me explaining my wishes to him, he recommended OM20 for $250.00.

I took his advice, got OM20, let him set it up for me, went home and immediately noticed things being improved in exactly those areas I was complaining about. And that's before OM20 got a chance to warm up, let alone break in.

So my question to you is: what's wrong with that? What's wrong with taking the advice from a person more knowledgeable than me and then being in the position to verify that indeed it all works as advertised?

Alex.

I'm Andy.

My answer is that I cannot see any circumstances in which a DL103 could sound worse than an OM20 unless there is a major setup issue. Yes a DL103 wouldn't give its best in an RB300 but it should still annihilate an OM20.

Edit: or a deficient MC stage. Something definitely not right if a DL-103 falls below OM20.
    Last edited by Scooby; 23-03-2018 at 21:19.

I'm Andy.

Ive tried reading the whole thread to see if there's anything that's been missed. I have a couple of thoughts. Apologies in advance if this has been already discounted.

1. Hard to describe, but the curved lift/lower device can be knocked so it pivots towards the arm at the rear. In this position, it can be sitting too high, yet will only impede the arm when it reaches the latter part of the album. Have you checked the tonearm isn't scraping against the lift lower device at any point?
    2. You say the dealer fitted the cart in the arm. Did he have the deck too, or did you just take the arm?
    3. Just wondering about the Systemdek. Which model is it? Does it have a Rega cutout or official Rega armboard? Just wondering if there is anything that could mean it's seriously misaligned. I've ran a DL-103 in an RB300 and I had no tracking issues whatsoever and it never sounded hard or harsh. It didn't give of its best, but it did work. The 103R was better suited to a Rega but it too gave better performance in other arms IMO.

I realise you're getting so many opinions and so many different angles to consider. It can be really frustrating when you get such issues. At least the Jelco will give you a fresh start, but you will need to make sure you have a Linn armboard to hand, for your systemdek.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast