+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Ive tried reading the whole thread to see if there's anything that's been missed. I have a couple of thoughts. Apologies in advance if this has been already discounted.

1. Hard to describe, but the curved lift/lower device can be knocked so it pivots towards the arm at the rear. In this position, it can be sitting too high, yet will only impede the arm when it reaches the latter part of the album. Have you checked the tonearm isn't scraping against the lift lower device at any point?
    2. You say the dealer fitted the cart in the arm. Did he have the deck too, or did you just take the arm?
    3. Just wondering about the Systemdek. Which model is it? Does it have a Rega cutout or official Rega armboard? Just wondering if there is anything that could mean it's seriously misaligned. I've ran a DL-103 in an RB300 and I had no tracking issues whatsoever and it never sounded hard or harsh. It didn't give of its best, but it did work. The 103R was better suited to a Rega but it too gave better performance in other arms IMO.

I realise you're getting so many opinions and so many different angles to consider. It can be really frustrating when you get such issues. At least the Jelco will give you a fresh start, but you will need to make sure you have a Linn armboard to hand, for your systemdek.
    1. I've checked and re-checked and at no point is the arm getting anywhere close to the lift device. So definitely no scraping against the the lift lower device.

2. The dealer fit the cart in the arm using the entire deck that I brought into the shop.

3. Systemdek IIX. Came with the teardrop tonearm base.

I loved most of the time the way DL-103 performed on Systemdek and RB300. But there is no denying that something was amiss, since it could not reproduce more dynamic, louder passages. For example, on Joni Mitchell's "Car on the Hill" from "Court & Spark", there is the mid section with choir and some processed sounds, which with Denon sounds like an unbearable, screechy, cringe inducing mess. As soon as I put OM20 on, that illegible mess became sweet sounding soundscape, the way Joni meant it to sound.

So obviously DL-103 underperformed on my Systemdek, for some reason. OM20 seems to be having better luck here, save for the intermittent hiccups.

I'm mighty curious to hear how will DL-103 cope on Jelco. Most people claim that 10" Jelco should outperform RB300, so we'll see. Next week
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    1. I've checked and re-checked and at no point is the arm getting anywhere close to the lift device. So definitely no scraping against the the lift lower device.

2. The dealer fit the cart in the arm using the entire deck that I brought into the shop.

3. Systemdek IIX. Came with the teardrop tonearm base.

I loved most of the time the way DL-103 performed on Systemdek and RB300. But there is no denying that something was amiss, since it could not reproduce more dynamic, louder passages. For example, on Joni Mitchell's "Car on the Hill" from "Court & Spark", there is the mid section with choir and some processed sounds, which with Denon sounds like an unbearable, screechy, cringe inducing mess. As soon as I put OM20 on, that illegible mess became sweet sounding soundscape, the way Joni meant it to sound.

So obviously DL-103 underperformed on my Systemdek, for some reason. OM20 seems to be having better luck here, save for the intermittent hiccups.

I'm mighty curious to hear how will DL-103 cope on Jelco. Most people claim that 10" Jelco should outperform RB300, so we'll see. Next week
    Sounds like the teardrop base is the original(?). If so, then Steve was correct - the Rega arm is the wrong length! No wonder you're having problems then. And if you intend to mount the 10" Jelco on that same armboard then it will be even worse, as it's longer still than the Rega, by almost 20mm. You need the 9" arm to match the original Systemdek spec. Or have a new armboard made up for the 10" arm...

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Sounds like the teardrop base is the original(?). If so, then Steve was correct - the Rega arm is the wrong length! No wonder you're having problems then. And if you intend to mount the 10" Jelco on that same armboard then it will be even worse, as it's longer still than the Rega, by almost 20mm. You need the 9" arm to match the original Systemdek spec. Or have a new armboard made up for the 10" arm...
    I think we'll be looking into machining the armboard for the 10" Jelco. Worst case scenario, I'll start looking for a new turntable.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Andy.

Systemdek made armboards with Rega cutouts, so it's still possible the teardrop armboard is right for the Rega. You'd have to do a bit of fettling to get a Rega arm on a Linn armboard anyway because the hole is too big. If the hole on the armboard is the right size for the Rega arm, then it's highly likley it's the right mounting distance for the RB300.

I'm Geoff.

I think we'll be looking into machining the armboard for the 10" Jelco. Worst case scenario, I'll start looking for a new turntable.
    If you sell the Systemdek, you may end up wishing you hadn't. They are very capable.

I'm Andy.

As always, personal taste comes into it, but I found very little positive in the two IIX models I owned. I haven't had the electronic version, but pitch stability on both standard models was very poor. Sound quality was also average at best. I'd never have another.

If I owned an SA 750D and DL103, I'd upgrade the deck.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you sell the Systemdek, you may end up wishing you hadn't. They are very capable.
    I don't intend to sell it. This turntable has soul. It is endlessly tweakable, and it responds favourably to tlc. And the sound it delivers is full of life. Compared to other turntables in its price range, Systemdek IIX leaves most of them in the dust. Many others sound dull, lifeless and drab next to Systemdek.

But if 10" Jelco cannot be mounted on it, I'll be forced to buy another turntable that can accommodate 10" tonearm.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

As always, personal taste comes into it, but I found very little positive in the two IIX models I owned. I haven't had the electronic version, but pitch stability on both standard models was very poor. Sound quality was also average at best. I'd never have another.

If I owned an SA 750D and DL103, I'd upgrade the deck.
    You and I seem to have the exact opposite taste in music. I adore Systemdek, you think it is poor. I am impressed with OM20's price-performance ratio, you think it is poor.

Finally I found the 'opposite me'!

Alex.

I'm Andy.

You and I seem to have the exact opposite taste in music. I adore Systemdek, you think it is poor. I am impressed with OM20's price-performance ratio, you think it is poor.

Finally I found the 'opposite me'!
    Unless you also come to love the DL-103 when you hear it on a Jelco arm

I'm probably in a minority disliking the Systemdek, and you should be fine mounting the Jelco/Denon on it, albeit with a new armboard. The suspension will need quite a bit of adjusting for the extra weight, but that's one thing I did like about the deck: it's easy to adjust unlike, say, an LP12.

When you do come to fit the Jelco arm,,you might find this thread useful:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ting-confusion!

The "worst" thing I tried with the IIX was a Funk Firm Achromat. You might love it!

I'm Alex.

Unless you also come to love the DL-103 when you hear it on a Jelco arm

I'm probably in a minority disliking the Systemdek, and you should be fine mounting the Jelco/Denon on it, albeit with a new armboard. The suspension will need quite a bit of adjusting for the extra weight, but that's one thing I did like about the deck: it's easy to adjust unlike, say, an LP12.

When you do come to fit the Jelco arm,,you might find this thread useful:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ting-confusion!

The "worst" thing I tried with the IIX was a Funk Firm Achromat. You might love it!
    I already adore DL-103. I just dislike how it handles dynamic passages on RB300, on my Systemdek, in my room, listened to with my ears

Thanks for the valuable advice! Cheers

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast