+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I seem to be lost here the OP was complaining originally as tracking issues with the OM20, unless I'm missing something it appears it tracks better than DL-103?
    Yes, when it's working (meaning not skipping) it tracks way better than DL-103 was tracking on my turntable. But the problem is that every now and then, for no apparent rhyme or reason, it decides to start skipping, always at approximately same spot (4 - 5 minutes into the record). If it wasn't for that hiccup, I'd be quite pleased with OM20's performance (and it hasn't even broken in!)
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    103 set up right will blow an om20 away imo. but it needs a lot of care and right arm/headshell
    Seems like in my system, DL-103 didn't like RB300. It just sounded too strident and hard in the upper register. Especially during dynamic passages. Like, loud violins would suddenly start sounding shrill, and choirs, when raising their voices, would sound like indistinguishable mess. I tried remedying that by playing with VTF, to no avail.

I don't doubt that on a better system DL-103 can sail with flying colours through such difficult passages. Sadly, not on my RB300.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes, when it's working (meaning not skipping) it tracks way better than DL-103 was tracking on my turntable. But the problem is that every now and then, for no apparent rhyme or reason, it decides to start skipping, always at approximately same spot (4 - 5 minutes into the record). If it wasn't for that hiccup, I'd be quite pleased with OM20's performance (and it hasn't even broken in!)
    Thanks, it appears you have identified the problem as the arm, hope you're right and have success with you're new arm

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Measure the VTA with a ruler or marked card; the arm-tube should be the same height at the back as at the front, or even marginally up at the back. Best done with the cart. placed on the record at the inner grooves. If the VTA IS tail down (unless specified for that cart.), raise it, because this alters the S.R.A. (stylus rake angle). I've never had a cart. that sounds better with the tail down.

The same record? Must be getting a bit knackered by now. Random is really frustrating, and, from what you say, does point to bearings, assuming no other impediment. There's no point in setting a lower VTF; it's likely to bugger up your records more quickly as it mistracks.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a handy way to adjust VTA on Rega RB300.

I thought records are here to be played, no? Why do you think it's a problem if I keep playing the same record over and over? I haven't been noticing any deterioration from doing that. In my mind, if I like the record, it should be perfectly fine to play it over and over and over.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Thanks, it appears you have identified the problem as the arm, hope you're right and have success with you're new arm
    Well, by all accounts (written and verbal) 10" Jelco tonearm should be a noticeable improvement over Rega RB300. Fingers crossed, will find out next week when the arm arrives!

Alex.

I'm Alex.

I'm now facing a conundrum -- when I replace my RB300 with Jelco, what to do with Rega tonearm? By all appearances it looks in good shape, but as I've reported, it has a tendency to introduce intermittent skipping. Would it be fair to offer it for sale? Of course, full disclosure of my travails will be included in the sales offer, but my dilemma is what would be a reasonable price to ask for this semi-defective tonearm?

Alex.

I'm Mike.

I thought records are here to be played, no? Why do you think it's a problem if I keep playing the same record over and over? I haven't been noticing any deterioration from doing that. In my mind, if I like the record, it should be perfectly fine to play it over and over and over.
    So you're not suffering any deterioration from frequent skips and jumps on the same record? I've not come across indestructible vinyl before; oh, the wonders of modern materials !

I'm Gary.

I'm now facing a conundrum -- when I replace my RB300 with Jelco, what to do with Rega tonearm? By all appearances it looks in good shape, but as I've reported, it has a tendency to introduce intermittent skipping. Would it be fair to offer it for sale? Of course, full disclosure of my travails will be included in the sales offer, but my dilemma is what would be a reasonable price to ask for this semi-defective tonearm?
    Get your guru you mentioned to check it out at his leisure then you know where you stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Alex.

Get your guru you mentioned to check it out at his leisure then you know where you stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good suggestion, thank you, but I don't want to spend any more money on it.

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Alex, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that in another thread one of the guys pointed out that the RB300 was not the correct length for your deck to begin with? I.e. too short or long? Is this true? Could this be where the root of your problems lie with this cartridge? If I'm imagining this, then apologies...

Edit: found it... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...319#post956319 See Post #54 by Steve (Arrow)
    Did this ever get figured out...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast