+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A friend of mine has a Systemdeck with the 'teardrop' armboard to which is fitted a Syrinx LE-1 tonearm. I think the LE-1 has an effective length of around 9", so I assume a 9" Jelco could also be fitted.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A friend of mine has a Systemdeck with the 'teardrop' armboard to which is fitted a Syrinx LE-1 tonearm. I think the LE-1 has an effective length of around 9", so I assume a 9" Jelco could also be fitted.
    Jelco dealer who sold us the tonearm claims that 9" Jelco would be no improvement over Rega RB300. He said that once you go to 10" then the improvement will be noticeable.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Unless you also come to love the DL-103 when you hear it on a Jelco arm

I'm probably in a minority disliking the Systemdek, and you should be fine mounting the Jelco/Denon on it, albeit with a new armboard. The suspension will need quite a bit of adjusting for the extra weight, but that's one thing I did like about the deck: it's easy to adjust unlike, say, an LP12.

When you do come to fit the Jelco arm,,you might find this thread useful:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ting-confusion!

The "worst" thing I tried with the IIX was a Funk Firm Achromat. You might love it!
    Andy -- slight tangent to this thread, but I am considering the Achromat for my Heybrook. What was it you didn't like about it? So as not to drift this topic, feel free to answer in my Heybrook mat thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...r-Heybrook-TT2

Thanks!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I already adore DL-103. I just dislike how it handles dynamic passages on RB300, on my Systemdek, in my room, listened to with my ears

Thanks for the valuable advice! Cheers
    Alex, since you haven't answered the numerous questions re. RB300 mount point, it seems you may not be sure if the RB300 was in fact mounted correctly on your deck - i.e. proper mount point for it's longer length. Have you considered downloading a Rega mount template, printing it and checking it for yourself? Even if you do end up replacing it with the Jelco, it will tell you a lot about why these cartridges are performing the way they are for you. E.g. reassure you that the Rega bearings may not be to blame, where the cartridge sound and tracking faults originate, etc. If all is in order after all, at least it will rule out that variable.

Hope you figure it out. These sorts of issues are very frustrating.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Alex, since you haven't answered the numerous questions re. RB300 mount point, it seems you may not be sure if the RB300 was in fact mounted correctly on your deck - i.e. proper mount point for it's longer length. Have you considered downloading a Rega mount template, printing it and checking it for yourself? Even if you do end up replacing it with the Jelco, it will tell you a lot about why these cartridges are performing the way they are for you. E.g. reassure you that the Rega bearings may not be to blame, where the cartridge sound and tracking faults originate, etc. If all is in order after all, at least it will rule out that variable.

Hope you figure it out. These sorts of issues are very frustrating.

Cheers,
    Svend
    Great points, Svend, and my apologies for not being able to answer many of the questions. The thing is, I'm a novice (just switched to vinyl about a year ago) and often times I don't even speak the lingo, so I may not even understand the question (there are many interchangeable terms for what may be the same part on the turntable, and sometimes the confusion is between the North American and the UK variants in English).

I will download and print the blueprints, as you've recommended. My issue right now is that I'm all thumbs when it comes to printing to scale. Whatever I print ends up not matching the expected scale, so there's another thing I need to get a degree in before being able to proceed.

There's so many things to learn these days. Right now I'm in deep space nine trying to learn IoT (Internet of Things), blockhain, AI and conversational interface, big data, machine learning. The travails never end...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Andy.

This may help you when it comes to the Jelco 750D if you don't want to DIY your own armboard.

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/products...lished-acrylic

I'm Svend.

If you need any help with the template, printing or whatever, and want to take it offline so as not to clutter this thread, send me a PM and we'll sort it out via email or phone. Happy to help out...

Svend

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    If you need any help with the template, printing or whatever, and want to take it offline so as not to clutter this thread, send me a PM and we'll sort it out via email or phone. Happy to help out...

Svend
    Thanks Svend

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    This may help you when it comes to the Jelco 750D if you don't want to DIY your own armboard.

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/products...lished-acrylic
    Lat week I tried ordering from that site, they only accept orders from UK and from Australia

Alex.

I'm Shaun.

Following the slight deviation into Funk Firm Achromat territory, I have one on my Nottingham Analogue Interspace deck and it is bloody wonderful in my system. Without it the sound is fat and overblown especially in the upper bass but with it the sound is way more dynamic with much more control. It cleans up the whole sound with much greater precision.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast