+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character

I'm James.

Default Character

Should your HiFi components have character? That spelling dint look proper? Anyhoo should your amp Dac or speakers have a sound? Or should your gear just be neutral?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

Don't we all tailor our systems to the sound we want/like? When we add a component we don't like I suspect it is because we don't like it's character? If a system doesn't have character then it must be very boring.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Don't we all tailor our systems to the sound we want/like? When we add a component we don't like I suspect it is because we don't like it's character? If a system doesn't have character then it must be very boring.
    I get your point, often amp cd Dac makers say they've produced their gear so you can hear exactly what the musician wanted, so the gear they produce has no influence?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm gone.

I guess you mean that any deviation from perfection is 'character'.

Nothing is perfect, so everything has character.

Embrace it!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I guess you mean that any deviation from perfection is 'character'.

Nothing is perfect, so everything has character.

Embrace it!
    I don't have an issue with kit having it's own character, just wondered if folk want utter neutral gear or a bit of that there Character? As the artist intended is often a manufacturer blurb but that's bollox? Production fooks that up, so a bit of character might help?

I'm gone.

In my experience, a lot of makes have a "house sound", a set of characteristics which gives all of their gear a similar character that differentiates them from other makes.
    Sometimes this house sound evolves with time - Naim did that, very different characteristic sound now from what they were to start with.

I'm James.

In my experience, a lot of makes have a "house sound", a set of characteristics which gives all of their gear a similar character that differentiates them from other makes.
    Sometimes this house sound evolves with time - Naim did that, very different characteristic sound now from what they were to start with.
    Big ask! Do you reckon amp/ source / speakers have the biggest influence, or might have the biggest influence? In this regard? Have I opened a previous can?

I'm gone.

That seems to be being partly addressed in this thread atm -- http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...435#post959435

I'm James.

That seems to be being partly addressed in this thread atm -- http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...435#post959435
    Best to have another whiskey

I'm Paul.

I think that a lot of marketing departments of hifi equipment manufactures like to talk a good neutrality, but really people who want to enjoy listening to music don't really want it. I think it is that unplaceable musicality that is wanted and ultimately draws you in.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast