+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace caps on JR149 ?

I'm Ian.

Default Replace caps on JR149 ?

I know, I know, perennial question with a commonality to many old boxes, or in this case, cylinders ! Just bought a pair, restored the woodwork, paid £28 for two bits of foam and they look as good as new and sound great. Feels nice to be playing them on the end of a 303 too.

So.....a pack of replacement caps costs pocket money from Falcon Acoustics - is it worth considering ? I ask this from the perspective of having no technical/electrical knowledge whatsoever, I don't even know what a capacitor does ! I just wondered from a sonic perspective what those who know or have experience of may think. Conflicting responses accepted

I'm Alan.

Electrolytic capacitors do dry out or drift of value so replacing them with same value low ESR axial capacitor replacements will bring the speaker back into the original specifications
    I would also check that all the resistors and inductors are still the correct value as well
    For the price falcon are asking its a no brainer
    If the capacitors are polarised please ensure to replace them with the correct polarity

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/ro...citor-set.html

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Ian.

Thanks Alan, someone who knows/can do would actually be doing the job. The component cost does seem very reasonable.

I'm Andrew.

Make sure you buy the better tolerance packs from Falcon, I think they do a matched 1-2% tolerance for a few quid extra. Here's my thread of my first pair of 149's. I've now got a very early pair and have kept everything stock.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ORATION+THREAD
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Make sure you buy the better tolerance packs from Falcon, I think they do a matched 1-2% tolerance for a few quid extra. Here's my thread of my first pair of 149's. I've now got a very early pair and have kept everything stock.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ORATION+THREAD
    Thanks Andrew, I'm just about to have a look at this.

+ Reply to Thread