+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using external DAC with Meridian?

I'm Drew.

Default Using external DAC with Meridian?

Hi

Unsurprisingly, my new (old!!) Meridian 596 player is significantly inferior soundwise to my Lector CDP7. My question is, could I realistically improve performance with an external DAC instead of moving it on? If so, any recommendations for dynamic sounding unit, yet as analogue as possible? Thanks

I'm Geoff.

I'd assume the 596 is not too different to my 507 and that makes an excellent transport. I've found a decent external DAC is definitely a step up in sound quality. I use a Monarchy Audio M22b or M22c, both unavailable new now, but very fine sounding. Some of the old Theta DACs work nicely too.

I'm mickael.

While the Meridian 2 and 5 series used excellent cd mechs (philips CDM I think) the 596 is a different animal fitted with a dvd rom drive, worth a try for a possible nice surprise but I wouldn't bet too much on it to make a great transport. As to analogue sounding dacs Audio Gd makes excellent ones and are great value imho.
    ʇɐɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝʌᴉl ʇ,uɐɔ 's,pƆ ʎɯ uo sǝpᴉs q ou

Main: Custom L75 "La Plancha", AudioCraft AC300, Ortofon MC3000 AnaMighty EAR 834P - PTP5 Schick 12" Cala 103.3 on HA1000 - pre AI Modulus 3A Audio Synthesis Passion - DAX2se - ARC VT60/Quad 909 - Virgo 2
    Office: L78 Mayware Formula IV Ortofon MC10 super - Kenwood KT1100 - Acoustic Masterpiece AM-201or A&R A60 - Rogers LS3/5a
    Workshop: Chromecast - Meridian 563 Dac - Audio Synthesis Passion - Quad 306 or 606ii - Spendor BC1

I'm Drew.

Thanks Geoff...Allegedly the 596 is up there with the 508.24 in terms of sound quality but I haven't heard the latter so can't comment. it's clear however that low end and soundstage are way off the Lector's, so I'd be hopeful to improve in those areas. Very interested indeed in the M22C- great reviews but can't seem to find a used one anywhere. Will keep my eyes peeled...

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Very interested indeed in the M22C- great reviews but can't seem to find a used one anywhere. Will keep my eyes peeled...
    They are few and far between. The M22b sounds just as good by the way.

+ Reply to Thread