+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile phone...Doh

I'm Paul.

Phones are locked to a network because you are paying for them over the length of your contract.

If you bought a new Samsung PayG handset, it might cost you £500.
    If you took out a contract for the same handset, it might cost you £20/month for two years.
    It's roughly the same amount of money and that's how they work out which phones go on which tariffs.

Unlocking is easy enough - you can often buy a code from eBay for about a tenner.
    Just read the instructions carefully, maybe watch a YouTube about how to do it before if you're nervous, check the feedback of the seller and away you go.
    Could be done in minutes that way rather than faffing with a new sim.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    So, it looks like I need to go a large Tesco and get the Galaxy phone unlocked or see if they will change the phone I find is a struggle. I have had the contract for 3 - 4 years, so they might do an upgrade.
    I'd be surprised if Tesco have the wherewithal to unlock a phone.

Is your wife still with EE?
    They can provide you with an unlock code, but they'll charge you for it.
    Then the phone will work with whichever SIM you want to put in it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I'd be surprised if Tesco have the wherewithal to unlock a phone.

Is your wife still with EE?
    They can provide you with an unlock code, but they'll charge you for it.
    Then the phone will work with whichever SIM you want to put in it.
    +1

I'm Geoff.

Here you can pop into one of the small local mobile phone shops and get the little Indian guy (it's always a little Indian guy) to unlock just about any phone for around a tenner.

I'm Dave.

I didn't realise it was this complicated. I thought the Sim carried all the info and could be used in any phone. Looks like I was wrong.

Best bet is to go to Tesco and see of I can change the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Here you can pop into one of the small local mobile phone shops and get the little Indian guy (it's always a little Indian guy) to unlock just about any phone for around a tenner.
    He'll have software on his laptop that will enable him to flash different firmware onto it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I didn't realise it was this complicated. I thought the Sim carried all the info and could be used in any phone. Looks like I was wrong.

Best bet is to go to Tesco and see of I can change the phone.
    They'll want you to renew your contract before they hand a phone over, and I'd be wary of the devices they supply at the monthly cost you're currently paying.
    Chris

I'm Grant.

just take it to a phoneshop. lots about that will unlock for 20/30 quid and your away to use any sim you choose, now or future. ive had a few done as i get my sons handowns
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I had the foresight (or luck) to hang onto my old and no longer available PAYG account free Tesco SIM card.

I only make about a dozen calls a year, so an account with a monthly tariff is not what I want, but that's all that's on offer these days.

My SIM reguires that I make one call or text in each six months to keep the number open. I can manage that . I top it up with a tenner maybe once a year.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just take it to a phoneshop. lots about that will unlock for 20/30 quid and your away to use any sim you choose, now or future. ive had a few done as i get my sons handowns
    It's about a tenner here. Mind you, new unlocked phones start at that kind of money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast